View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
GranJanNM

Default Home made laundry soap

Have you ever considered making your own laundry soap? It is much cheaper and it works fine for me. You can Google for it, or here is the recipe that I use.....In a very large bowl combine 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT baking soda!), Mix WELL. Now add 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha soap, OR 1/4 of a bar of Zote soap, shaved on your microplane zester, or a good grater. This is a little time consuming but worthwhile I think. Also, this is optional but I add 2 or 3 TBs of Purex Crystals, for the scent. Now, you will need to mix 5 minutes, to make sure everything is completely mixed. I use a slotted large dipper type tool to stir, and to lift it up and allow to sift through. Store the mixture in an air-tight container. Use 2 TBs for a medium load of laundry. Use 3 to 4 TBs for a heavy load, very large load or extra dirty. You will NOT see any suds, so don't be surprised. I would have listed all of this in a regular list, but my computer wouldn't let me do a "return" at all. I mostly use warm or hot water (although it is not really hot in my new washing machine!) and it dissolves fine. If I am doubtful that it will not dissolve I add my "soap" to a cup or more of boiling hot water and stir. Then add to the washer (this is for loads where I want to use cold water). You can find all these items in the laundry/bath soap section of the store. (If they stock it). I usually find them at WalMart.

Last edited by GranJanNM; 07-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.