Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home made laundry soap

Home made laundry soap

Have you ever considered making your own laundry soap? It is much cheaper and it works fine for me. You can Google for it, or here is the recipe that I use.....In a very large bowl combine 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT baking soda!), Mix WELL. Now add 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha soap, OR 1/4 of a bar of Zote soap, shaved on your microplane zester, or a good grater. This is a little time consuming but worthwhile I think. Also, this is optional but I add 2 or 3 TBs of Purex Crystals, for the scent. Now, you will need to mix 5 minutes, to make sure everything is completely mixed. I use a slotted large dipper type tool to stir, and to lift it up and allow to sift through. Store the mixture in an air-tight container. Use 2 TBs for a medium load of laundry. Use 3 to 4 TBs for a heavy load, very large load or extra dirty. You will NOT see any suds, so don't be surprised. I would have listed all of this in a regular list, but my computer wouldn't let me do a "return" at all. I mostly use warm or hot water (although it is not really hot in my new washing machine!) and it dissolves fine. If I am doubtful that it will not dissolve I add my "soap" to a cup or more of boiling hot water and stir. Then add to the washer (this is for loads where I want to use cold water). You can find all these items in the laundry/bath soap section of the store. (If they stock it). I usually find them at WalMart.
    Last edited by GranJanNM; 07-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.

I would like to edit the above post...I gave the wrong amounts for the shaved soap(s). Use 1 full bar Fels Naptha OR a half bar of the Zote soap. Sorry!

I use the same recipe except I buy the Zote in flakes. I also use 1/2 cut of white vinegar in the rinse. It leaves the clothes nice and soft and they smell so fresh.

I also make my laundry soap and save lots of money doing so. Mine is liquid uses the same basic ingredients and makes 10 gallons for about $1.25.

I have been making mine for a couple of years. I bar of zote soap but I put it through the food processor grate blade and then dump it into a bowl and put in the mixing thingy and put it back into the food processor and pulverize it into tiny balls, and then add the borax and washing soda and pulverize all of that. The other measurements aren't exact. Sometimes I get to the end of one of the boxes and there is a little more, so just dump it in. So far, it has worked great for us. Never have seen the Zote in flakes. That would be something to try.
    Alyce

Thank you for providing us with the "recipe". I have been thinking about making some but just haven't had time to look it up. One of the ladies at PT was talking about using it. Will have to give it a try!!!
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

I make my own powdered soap.....2 cups of soap flakes, 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Oxyclean, and 1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. I also add a few drops of Lavendar oil... It works very well..
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

I do not make my soap but remember my Mother and Grandmother made really large batches of what they called lye (?) soap when I was growing up. It must have been something really special because other family members seemed so happy when they were offered a bar and I don't recall anyone ever turning one down. The women just talked about how shinny it made their hair. I think it must have had hog fat in it as they always made their soap around the time my Dad and Grandfather slaughtered a hog. I haven't thought about this in years so thanks for the memories. And, does this sound familiar to anyone else? LOL
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    GranJan, this is the recipe I use as well. Recently added a cup of OxyClean to the mix as well. I really like it until I run out and have to make some more.... like tomorrow for the next batch of laundry to do. I'm a farm wife and DH's jeans get really dirty...hot water and this soap gets the surface dirt out....manure stains well that's another story. City gals really don't know what dirt is.
    canmitch I like the idea of adding the lavender...Thanks.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    This is something I want to try. Thanks for the encouragement!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I've used the same formula for about three years now. It saves a lot of money!!! More for FABRIC!!!

Betty62, I remember my grandma making lye soap. It was cut in bars, and it was shaved for the washing machine. I don't remember using it for anything else. I think I'll try this dry soap.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Does anyone use this recipe with a front load washing machine?

Sounds like an easy recipe, thanks!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

I'm curious if those of you who use these various recipes have 'hard' water? With all the phosphates taken out of detergents; soaps; shampoos; etc., our clothes are no longer getting clean. We were away recently to an area where the water is 'softer' and the clothes came out much cleaner. Granted, a different brand of detergent but I don't really think that is the issue. I think in our case it's the mineral content of the water. Looking into a water softener system of some type at this point.

My step daughter makes hers and it uses less powder than store brought ones to do laundry with, cleans just as well too.
    Last edited by nwm50; 07-18-2014 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Adding
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

She uses the he front loader too.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

I tried this a couple years ago but by the end of the batch all my clothes felt like the had a buildup on them, didn't really feel clean.

Blog Entries
    I've been using the food processor method for about 3 years now. Can make a 3 months supply in about 20 minutes. Make my own fabric softener ,too- due to skin allergies .Rash cleared up after I started making my own.
    Last edited by betty32084; 07-18-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
    I also make my laundry soap and save lots of money doing so. Mine is liquid uses the same basic ingredients and makes 10 gallons for about $1.25.
    How much do the ingredients cost to make the soap and how much mixture does it make to get the final cost of $1.25 per 10 gallons.....

I make my own laundry soap now for about 2 years. What I like best is that I don't have to use fabric softner in the wash or the dryer and now my towels actually absorb the moisture when you use them. My recipe makes a huge batch so I don't have to do it too often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betty32084 View Post
    I've been using the food processor method for about 3 years now. Can make a 3 months supply in about 20 minutes. Make my own fabric softener ,too- due to skin allergies .Rash cleared up after I started making my own.
    How do you make the fabric softener?

I have used biodegradable soap since about 1961 Amway and Shaklee. a few years ago I began using a laundry ball. love it I bought it from Mystic Wonders, Inc. I also have the balls for my dishwasher. for info on these you can go to www.mysticwondersinc.com I love my wonder water stick for plants & cleaning from there also. no need to buy windex anymore. this does the job. I use it for cleaning spots on my carpet too.
    I recently read that Washing Soda should be used to clean all your clothes - even before you wear them I also love Oxyclean I had some blue embroidery thread bleed when doing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". after trying many things to remedy the situiation I soaked it in Oxyclean It did a very good Job.
    Another product I love is a glass nail file. Do not buy the cheap ones. Have used these for many years now.
    Guess I could go on and on I buy products from Global Light Networks love many of their products but my favorite is Bentonite Living Clay. You can use it to drink, or topically. use it for many, many things. you can stop bleeding, bathe in it. it will help you detoxify, The clay is 25% off until evening of the 21st. I believe even free shipping.
    globallightnetworks.com for more info.

I have used biodegradable soap since about 1961 Amway and Shaklee. a few years ago I began using a laundry ball. love it I bought it from Mystic Wonders, Inc. I also have the balls for my dishwasher. for info on these you can go to www.mysticwondersinc.com I love my wonder water stick for plants & cleaning from there also. no need to buy windex anymore. this does the job. I use it for cleaning spots on my carpet too.
    I recently read that Washing Soda should be used to clean all your clothes - even before you wear them I also love Oxyclean I had some blue embroidery thread bleed when doing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". after trying many things to remedy the situiation I soaked it in Oxyclean It did a very good Job.
    Another product I love is a glass nail file. Do not buy the cheap ones. Have used these for many years now.
    Guess I could go on and on I buy products from Global Light Networks love many of their products but my favorite is Bentonite Living Clay. You can use it to drink, or topically. use it for many, many things. you can stop bleeding, bathe in it. it will help you detoxify, The clay is 25% off until evening of the 21st. I believe even free shipping.
    globallightnetworks.com for more info.

I should add: Diatomaceous Earth - this can even be used to kill scorpians! I bought Pure Diatomaceous earth which is food grade. One can then ingest this and it will kill parasites in you. for the food grade call 505-243-1460. You can buy the regular kind which you can use outside at seed or farm stores. It is not dangerous google it when insets crawl over it , it will feel sharp to them and they will dehydrate and die. good for those nasty things that eat your hosta plants !

A few months ago, I bought all the ingredients (there aren't many, but I bought them all) to make by own laundry detergent. I grated the soap, measured everything out, stirred it all together and . . . could NOT stand the strong smell of the mixture. I so wanted this to work, but I ended up tossing the whole smelly mess. It didn't smell bad, just very, very strong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast