Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Home made laundry soap

I use the 1 cup each of borax, washing soda and one bar of Fels Naptha soap. Works great. The soap bar is easy
    & quick to grate using my Pampered Chef mandolin. No suds. I also use glass nail file. Love it.
    Does anyone make liquid detergent? How is it? Recipes I have read seem complicated to make. Anyone have
    a simple recipe? My daughter has a high efficiency washer.

I have been making my own soap for a few years now and it works better than any commercial brand. I use cold water for most of my washing and no problem with dissolving. I have gotten so many people started on this. Costs less than a penny a load. Oh be careful with Oxyclean in it, i found it caused some color change in some clothes. So now I am careful what I add it too. I do it as a booster. If you have a front loader it works great but only use one T. Enjoy and think about how money you are saving!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    I use the 1 cup each of borax, washing soda and one bar of Fels Naptha soap. Works great. The soap bar is easy
    & quick to grate using my Pampered Chef mandolin. No suds. I also use glass nail file. Love it.
    Does anyone make liquid detergent? How is it? Recipes I have read seem complicated to make. Anyone have
    a simple recipe? My daughter has a high efficiency washer.
    I've been making this soap for several years now. I found the recipe on line called Duggers laundry soap. My son's family, my daughter's, and my husband and I use it. I make a batch that fits into a 5 gallon bucket and store it in the closet for all to use. They fill their jug 1/2 way with the mixture then fill the other half with water. It works great
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I have made this also.,Love it. However, I put the bar soap in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Break thebar into six pieces ad heat. It will bubble up like foam. Remove, let cool for a few secs, then crumble with your hands. Works better then grating/

Arm & Hammer detergent is eco-friendly and the best detergent to use with septic tanks. Also recommended for high efficiency machines, which I have. We also have a water softener. The clothes smell great and they are soft!

I am happy.
    Sandy
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-19-2014 at 03:06 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries

If anyone is in the least bit interested, my niece, Becky Rapinchuk, wrote a book "The Orgnically Clean Home". It is absolutely unbelievable. It says on the front page "150 everyday organic cleaning products you can make yourself - the natural, chemical-free ways. Google Becky Rapinchuk - Clean Mama.net. Her ideas are unbelievable and son of a gun, they work. From laundry soap to towels that clean the dirt of dogs feet in muddy weather. Sure is a heckuva lot neater than hanging a dirty towel in the hallway.

Give it a look-see and you can get the book at Barnes and Noble and Amazon (I think). So well worth the money.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I make the liquid version of this recipe.

I have been making my own for about 2 years. I just made my 3rd batch and it cost me under $20. I use one large box of Borax, the large box of washing soda, large box of baking soda, large box of Oxiclean , 3 shaved bars of Fels Naptha and 1 bar ivory soap shaved. I bought a plastic storage box that has a airtight seal to store it in. I dumped everything in the box, put on the lid and shook it good. I have a front loader and have had no problems. I did notice that I needed to use a bit more that what the recipe indicated which was 2-3 Tablespoons. I took the measure cup from the Oxiclean and cut it down to the size I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    GranJan, this is the recipe I use as well. Recently added a cup of OxyClean to the mix as well. I really like it until I run out and have to make some more.... like tomorrow for the next batch of laundry to do. I'm a farm wife and DH's jeans get really dirty...hot water and this soap gets the surface dirt out....manure stains well that's another story. City gals really don't know what dirt is.
    canmitch I like the idea of adding the lavender...Thanks.
    Boy I'm with you on this. We live on the family farm, plum all 5 of my men work on cars, 2 of them off the farm as they jobs one changes oil all day and the our works on them so you can see the oil and grease that come home for me to get out. I like to idea of OxyClean add to the mix Will gave this a try. I have been making my soap in the slow cooker I put the dry things and a part if the water [ just to full the cooker]. mix it as walk by. them when it is well mixed I move to the storage pail and add all the water and mix again and as need.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    I do not make my soap but remember my Mother and Grandmother made really large batches of what they called lye (?) soap when I was growing up. It must have been something really special because other family members seemed so happy when they were offered a bar and I don't recall anyone ever turning one down. The women just talked about how shinny it made their hair. I think it must have had hog fat in it as they always made their soap around the time my Dad and Grandfather slaughtered a hog. I haven't thought about this in years so thanks for the memories. And, does this sound familiar to anyone else? LOL
    I've made lye soap as did my mother and mother in law. Yes it is made with fat, aka mostly hog. It can be lard or meat fryings. There is a cold method and a cooked method. Lard was rendered in a very large kettle over an open fire at hog killing time. It has been so many years since I made lye soap I don't remember how I did it. Since our culture has moved away from the use of animal fat in cooking, I think it has become a lost art. Ah the memories. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    How do you make the fabric softener?
    I like the soap recipes, but want to know how to make fabric softener also. I haven't been using softener since I got my front loader more than three years ago. The clothes come out of the machine so dry, they need very little time in the dryer or on the wash line.
    It doesn't really need softener since all the soap residue has been spun out. But I might try some anyway.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    I use the same recipe except I buy the Zote in flakes. I also use 1/2 cut of white vinegar in the rinse. It leaves the clothes nice and soft and they smell so fresh.
    I have not seen the Zote flakes...Good idea! I will look for some.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I like the soap recipes, but want to know how to make fabric softener also. I haven't been using softener since I got my front loader more than three years ago. The clothes come out of the machine so dry, they need very little time in the dryer or on the wash line.
    It doesn't really need softener since all the soap residue has been spun out. But I might try some anyway.
    Have you checked for that at Google?

Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    Does anyone use this recipe with a front load washing machine?
    I use this mixture with my front loader.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I Googled and found this recipe for softener:
    http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2013/08/...ndry-softener/

I use this recipe also and I love it, clothes come out so clean, the whites come out so bright, I hang mine outside and I love to see all the beautiful whites. When clothes are xtra dirty I will add a scoop of generic oxi clean from the dollar store. That stuff is great, took out berry stains from my grandaughters shirt, I thought it was a goner it was so stained. This recipe is very inexpensive, a box of the borax and washing soda can last mths depending on how much laundry you do. Just need to buy the bar soap which is a dollar or so at most places. Saves a lot of money. There is a recipe online for a liquid version using dawn but I didnt think it worked as well.
    Have a great day and God bless!

Diatomaceous Earth is great for bed bugs, after vacumming sprinkle it between your mattresses and around the bed anywhere bed bugs accumulate. It is safe but has a sharp sword effect on the bugs that keeps them away. It is sold in the gardening department, and is not expensive. Beats getting rid of all your stuff! Really worked when we had a episode.

I should add: Diatomaceous Earth - this can even be used to kill scorpians! I bought Pure Diatomaceous earth which is food grade. One can then ingest this and it will kill parasites in you. for the food grade call 505-243-1460. You can buy the regular kind which you can use outside at seed or farm stores. It is not dangerous google it when insets crawl over it , it will feel sharp to them and they will dehydrate and die. good for those nasty things that eat your hosta plants ![/QUOTE]
    Have a great day and God bless!

I cut the naphels in chunks and put in the coos processor until powder like. Been doing this for years,
    Michelle Guadarrama

Blog Entries
    I've made my own soap for years, but I've never heard of Zote soap, what is it and where do you find it? My recipe says do not use bleach when using this soap because it causes a chemical reaction.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I've been making this for years and love making and using it. I have just started putting in some Oxyclean and and think it helps.
    Jo Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I Googled and found this recipe for softener:
    http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2013/08/...ndry-softener/
    Thanks, Prism. I have conditioner on hand because I seldom use it on my hair. I use it only after a fresh permanent for a month or two. But one bottle is 7.5 oz. and the other one is 32 oz. Maybe the recipe needs to say how many ounces to use. (Don't worry, I won't use the 32 oz. bottle.) But I'm sure they come in different sizes.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I use the same ingredients but I have to use hot water to dissolve the Fels Naptha, it works great.

Blog Entries
    I've been making my own detergent for at least 2 years. I make the liquid version - 5 gal. at a time. I pour it up in empty detergent bottles that I get from my friends. I give half of what I make to my dear friend. She washes more than I do. My daughter also makes the liquid version but objected to the Fels Naptha soap smell so she substitutes Ivory soap and it works the same. Zote is real soap just like Fels and/or Ivory and the only bar I saw was pink. I guess I was out of my mind at one time and ordered TWO cases of Fels Naptha soap so I have a lifetime supply. I'll never know what made me order that much soap. I have added some of the fragrance crystals but it seems to make the consistency of the detergent change.
    TwandasMom

I also make my own soap but make it liquid. Makes my clothes smell cleaner longer than store soap and I use no scent. I hope to never have to buy soap from the store again!
    l
    so

m
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2