View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Since the lamp works, motor works, terminal..how do you really mess that up??, and the foot controllers both give same result, I HAVE to suspect the cord. I got it off eBay. Probably nuff said.
I'd agree with you there. It sounds like the wire to the FC is shorting somewhere (usually near one of the ends). You really need a circuit tester/multimeter. Unplug it and test continuity between everything that has power running through it normally.

I'm always amazed at what eBayers send me. Last machine (a 320K2) had this wrong:
1) A motor brush was broken
2) Someone had re-wired the plug and put the live wire on the wrong terminal
3) It had the wrong needle type inserted and the hook timing was out (probably so the longer needle would stop hitting the bobbin case)
4) The motor was unacceptably noisy because someone has reassembled it without the spring clip (that stops the stator from bouncing around inside the casing).

As if that wasn't enough, he packed it by wrapping it in a disassembled cardboard box and by some miracle only the pattern cam box broke. Told him all of this and he apologised and said it was still cheap (which was true) but if I were a regular punter this would have cost a small fortune to repair.

You're probably doing OK if there's only one thing wrong with it Replacing a wire is easy, especially on a Pfaff.