Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
sewjoyce

Originally Posted by Quiltin'Lady
My husband and I met several years after each of us had ended 20+ year marriages. I can't speak for him, but I knew who/what I was looking for: emotional intimacy, affection, and someone who put me first on his list of priorities. I knew within two months of knowing him that he was "the one" I'd been looking for.

Like so many others here, I strongly believe in the power of laughter and affection to cure all ills. Sometimes just a little touch of the hand is all that's needed to make that heart-to-heart connection strong again.

Be kind, don't forget basic courtesy, and acknowledge that you each have a right to your own opinions. Never, ever, take this person and their love for granted. Let them know *every day* with words and/or actions how much you appreciate having them in your life.

I really like what someone else said here: before making that clever retort in an argument or whatever, ask yourself, "Does saying this help US? Or does it just allow ME to feel better/smarter/more clever?" Thinking about this is THE major difference between how I behaved in my first marriage and how I act now. If I've learned anything over the years, it's that thinking about US is so much more important than worrying about ME.

Warning: none of this works or makes much sense if your partner isn't someone you respect and can trust with your heart. That's the basic foundation you have to start with; everything else builds on that.
Beautifully put!! :D