Thread: Basting pins
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

Initially, I started using the 1" quilting pins, which I purchased from my quilt shop and JoAnn's. I was ordering online several years ago and wanted to order more pins (I tend to lose a few or ten every time I pin baste for some reason) and I asked the woman on the phone if curved pins were better than the other pins. She assured me that the curved pins definitely make it easier to pin baste quilts, so I gave them a try. They made the pinning process so much easier that when I buy more pins I always buy the curved 1" quilting pins and I also use the Kwik-Klip that is awesome for closing the pins, which is a necessary tool to have when quilting, even my DH will always use the Kwik-Klip when he helps me pin baste quilts. I have read lots of praise for using Elmer's school glue and I'm looking forward to trying that as it looks much easier to me. Also I saw on a Sewing with Nancy segment where she used a roll of fusible tape, placed the tape on the quilt, backing and batting, then pressed briefly with an iron - the toughest part being taking the paper tape off, but it also sounds like a good, quick way to baste quilts. I'm going to give both a try very soon.