Thread: That darn cat
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM
xxxxxxxxxx

The cat ...

Cat got a good laugh ( at me) bring home more work. To get back at her. I did oil up Rusty / door stopper.. How will be know in QB terms as DDS ( Dear door stopper ). Once oild I put DDS next to her feeding station ( teh bowl ) well yesterday the sky was full of smoke, sun was blocked and a cooler day.

I went outside to give DDS and good check over and see what could be done with it.. ofcourse Cats ready for the show. The hand wheel was off, it won't go back on. someone had hammer the end of that shaft. I get out a large file and go to work.

By now ol cat in just cracking up ..

I removed the hammered flare on that shaft, The hand wheel went back in place.. But the machine is froze solid. no way it going to move with the rusted needle bar. Time to get serious, see if the screws will move. They did.

cat take a better postion to view all this..

with the head off, needle bar is in the head, like a white.. it turns free. now it's time to remove it's home made base and do the look see and oil ..

I could not believe how clean this is on the under side.. with an oiling it now spins as free as ever ...

My thoughts for ol DDS, now is to leave it rusted, clean the thread path, needle and slide plates. oil it's base. leaving it looking as close as I can to the way it was found, to show how nasty a machine can be and still work.

I'm starting to think DDS , is the early model for new Home, This is what needle bar calls these. meaning square bed conners and a Boat shuttle, opposed to the tunnel shuttle. I don't think those slide plates will be moving anytime soon. unless cat has a better idea..

That base is home made it looks like early 60's 1/4" plywood, and well built. The rust is a very heavy surface rust, which would be from sitting in an unheated building , not in the rain ..which is why the base and under side is still in such good shape..

I made a miss on posting photos

This machine is also a new home but a branded name sandia maybe Scandia ?? This had been in a flower bed for 2yrs when found and the sprinkler was going that day. it was nothing but a flaking rust, you could not even see any Black on it... it took 4 months of heating red hot to free it up and it does work..

I did this one 4 yrs ago, the steel was shinny,after derusting and polishing now has turned back to a dark stain, and is very rust pitted,,

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 08-04-2014 at 10:27 AM.