Thread: That darn cat
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

ol sew. Like you I toyed for yrs with, what can I do to make these work. look like they may have been there from day one. I do have hand grinders, decided those where big bulky, turn way to fast, plus they have there own place in life, steeering wheel knobs, no won't look right .. by this era in SM life I had tossed out a 40's flim winder. it was a very hi ratio and had a two screw bottom mount. That could have / would have in a base like pictured above. sat just under teh handwheel, by making / mounting a small pulley , use a belt to drive the machine or lifted teh mount / base and use a finger like a singer crank...

finally I just turned some knobs, make mounts at the wheel spokes , These clamp to the spoke vis a bolt, washers and nylock nuts, that also act as a spindles for the knob. I made these clamps from some type of commercail elec clamp found at Bring (glenwood) there alum kind of a J or hook shape and cut off what wasn't needed, I sure they still have those in there elec rack. you know the place ( bing)
this was on the single spoke wheels

In that pic it's a new home which have a Y shaped spoke. I use two small pieces of lexan, (easy to work with). Lets call these washers, that fit snuggly in both side of this Y, then same deal knob nut and bolt , washers used as fiction plates.

I done 4 machines this way, in real life we'll never use these machine. yet they could be used. they look like they Might have been OG and gave me something to do on those cold winter days .

I see you have made pulleys, you must own a lathe.

you see other not liking to the speed of the non servo industrail machines. I have made slip on pulleys that slide over the stock pulley, but clamp to the spokes via small J bolts, which could be set screws. This drops the speed to (guessing) 1/3 of what it was..

That cat is not mine, she is homeless and will watch you work for food