Old 08-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Blackberry

Default My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

I had promised myself that I simply would not buy another sewing machine and I had full intentions to doing just that because we have had many, many other expenses that needed our funds. But we stopped by a very close to us estate sale and I spotted this machine. I knew it was a 201 and it was in kind of rough condition with several places where the paint had chipped off and I was just tired of cleaning up machines for awhile. But I really wanted the Dome Shaped case that the machine was in so I focused my attention on it. The asking price was $110 and in my opinion way, way too much. The manager of the sale said they were taking bids so I told him I was going to bid it way low because there was no key to lock the case thus making it unable to be carried around, although who would do that because of its heavy weight. Also there was no way to get the cover off the end of the box to see what was in it. Anyway, I bid $25 on the first day of the sale. We went back to the sale about 15 minutes before it was closing and the machine was still there so he sold it to me for $25. Now that I have it home I have discovered some things about this machine that I am not familiar with. Of course the first thing I noticed, there was no foot pedal. No problem as I had two extras. Then when we finally figured out how to get the cover off the end of the machine base, here is a motor lying flat in the box and a mechanism at the end of the box. My DH finally figured out that by pushing on the lever from the round hole in the side of the box that the lever moved and he figured that was what gave the machine power. We plugged it in and sure enough it ran so quietly and smoothly. Now I am at a loss for how you work this because obviously you cannot sit there with a screwdriver pushing in on the lever to get it to run. Also on the back of the machine there appears to be a small black box which I thought was the motor. There is a hole in the top of it with a small copper spring coil being exposed. Also the connection for the electrical plug looks pretty much like a normal plug with a foot pedal attached on one side and the electrical plug on the other but of course there is no foot pedal plug on it. There are three prongs where the electrical plug needs to be inserted. So, my question is this. Of course I would like to know how singer intended for this machine to be used with no foot pedal and whether or not a foot pedal can be attached to it and if so how does one go about doing that. Here are some pictures of the machine as I brought it home. The serial number indicates this machine was made on December 20, 1938. Also I haven't determined why just yet the bobbin winder will not stay pushed down for winding a bobbin.
Attached Thumbnails singer-dome-case-front-view.jpg   back-machine-shows-motor-box.jpg   motor-box.jpg   motor-box-cover.jpg   lever-runs-machine.jpg  

hole-motor-box-back.jpg   hole-box-run-motor.jpg   electrical-connection.jpg   dome-cover.jpg   inside-dome-cover.jpg