Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control >

My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
This is probably the WRONG bar for this case - this is the older style and clips on a round peg. It's normally visible from the exterior of the case, and I don't see it on yours. This is the style offered before 1929.
Macybaby, you are right. That is the wrong bar for this machine. So glad you told me otherwise I would have made the same mistake that you made. You're a genius on sewing machines along with a few others on this board and I really am thankful for the good info that is given.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 AM

Very nice!

That black box on the back is indeed the potted motor, and the hole on top with the exposed copper spring is where you access one of the motor brushes. There is a screw in cap that goes there, and the one on your machine is broken.

Replacement caps can be purchased at Sew-classic: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Carbon-B...1-2-SCE514.htm

You will need to carefully remove the remains of the broken cap that is there now before screwing in the new one.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Such a wonderful find!!

Lots if good information in this thread!!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM

And grit your teeth to buy a cap. I broke both of mine on my 201 and hated myself forever.

Don't over tighten them, stop screwing when they stop turning. That's plenty.

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Very nice!

That black box on the back is indeed the potted motor, and the hole on top with the exposed copper spring is where you access one of the motor brushes. There is a screw in cap that goes there, and the one on your machine is broken.

Replacement caps can be purchased at Sew-classic: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Carbon-B...1-2-SCE514.htm

You will need to carefully remove the remains of the broken cap that is there now before screwing in the new one.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Oh how lucky you are to have found such a wonderful sewing machine. I have one that came to me at an estate auction, complete, in a cabinet, no problems, just set it up and sew (even with the stool filled with the previous owner's secrets and wonderful junk). If you can figure out a way to set it up with that connection that looks like the FW connections, and set it up in a cabinet, that will become your most favoritest sewing machine in all the world (and I do love Elna and have since about l959); I think my grannie's machine must have been a 201, I can remember the looks of it and using it, but not the potted motor thing. It whispers when you are sewing on it--no clatter, no noise at all. Can you tell I LOVE mine?????
Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
And grit your teeth to buy a cap. I broke both of mine on my 201 and hated myself forever.

Don't over tighten them, stop screwing when they stop turning. That's plenty.
I broke one on a 15-91 trying to loosen it. It was pretty brittle.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM

If you check the files in the Vintage Singers group on Yahoo, there is a guy who makes keys. I got one a few months ago from him. It was relatively inexpensive and very nicely made. It's pretty handy to have the key and just hang it on a ribbon with the case. IIRC it was about 4.00.