View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
SteveH
Banned

vdot. While I certainly do not recommend or condone lynching of any sort, I would personally say that simply stating personal experience/opinion vs making what sound more like pronouncements, might go down easier for the majority of folks.

For example, I completely disagree with the following "modern finishing materials which are far superior in every way to old japanning and varnish." especially when stated as if it were obvious to anyone with brains, as opposed to simply being your opinion. I do not believe that modern finishes are stronger or better, just cheaper to mass produce and apply.

Sandblasting (I HOPE you actually meant media blasting) can be useful is cases of machines that are totally shot, but I have two parts machines that are that because some clever monkey blasted them and removed enough material to effect the fit and function.

FYI - I have a thread on here from when I first began that shows the whole process i went through to take a 100% rusted, 2% design remaining machine to a repaint. I used modern paints. If I were to do it now (and I may strip it again and redo it better) I would NOT use modern paints, but the reproduction Japanning. The finish is different in look and feel. The closest you can get to the old look that I have found is the high heat ceramic paint. It has the viscosity to create the similar look and feel.

As to re-manufacturing parts, of course we can and do it all the time, but realize that you cannot buy steel of the quality originally used in most of the pre WW2 today without spending more that a parts machine in better shape would cost. (Time-Money-Effort equation does not really balance to make parts for most machines)

My particular case is a bit different in that I only collect 19th century machines and most do have historical and financial value. I am actually more in your court that you might guess from my post here, because I also feel that the best way to honor the engineering if these machines is to use them, and with that in mind I go through my own process which I refer to as removing the neglect. I do not repaint, but I do remove the patina and return the machine to a clean and operational state while allowing it to still have its battle scars.

Bottom line is you own your machine and have every right to do as you will, but others, including myself, might feel sad or a sense of loss with your choices... But I hope you enjoy them none the less!!

Last edited by SteveH; 08-12-2014 at 08:09 AM.