View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM
vdot

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
vdot. While I certainly do not recommend or condone lynching of any sort, I would personally say that simply stating personal experience/opinion vs making what sound more like pronouncements, might go down easier for the majority of folks.

For example, I completely disagree with the following "modern finishing materials which are far superior in every way to old japanning and varnish." especially when stated as if it were obvious to anyone with brains, as opposed to simply being your opinion. I do not believe that modern finishes are stronger or better, just cheaper to mass produce and apply.

Sandblasting (I HOPE you actually meant media blasting) can be useful is cases of machines that are totally shot, but I have two parts machines that are that because some clever monkey blasted them and removed enough material to effect the fit and function.
I agree with a lot of what you had to say, but I do absolutely disagree that there are not modern materials far superior to japaning and varnish....many polymers are much tougher, glossier and resistant to damages of all kinds. All one has to do is look at most higher-class vehicle finishes. I drive my Toyota daily thru branches and thorny bushes with nary a scratch, have bird dirt and bug juice on the paint for weeks at a time with no damage. Japanning can't even stand up to a few pins without scratching, and the finish wears off by simple handling of it over a period of time (albeit a long time, but I've seen few decent cars that have had their paint worn off from even heavy "traffic").

With respect to finish, I guess I might agree with you if I wanted an older-looking finish, as it would be hard to duplicate the older patina and look in general. And I did assume that one would want a "new" and shiny look...not necessarily new as of 1895, but the highest of quality new of today...not plastic-y...but a quality high-gloss look using expensive automotive polymers, baked and clear-coated. So I suppose you may be right about that too, as I did assume, but I also explained that my goal was shiny, new and lasting from modern times for 200+ years into the future.

After I posted the "sandblasting" statement, which was made "off-the-cuff," I realized I should have corrected that, but I would actually usually not use media blasting, but a good soaking in appropriate solvent anyway, especially with Japaning it should come off down to bare metal pretty easily. Sorry for not making that correction, and you caught it.

BTW, are you the guy who has a restore shop, and goes by "Sewing Machine Steve?" If so, I liked your work (what I could see of it) on the Singer 27, and especially on the Singer 66 on your website.