View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM
quiltin-nannie

Depression is horrible. A couple years ago, I was very depressed, and didn't know why. I have a wonderful husband, two loving adult children and a beautiful grandchild. I felt useless, had thought of suicide. I would cry at the drop of a hat. My daughter didn't want to "deal with the drama". She has since become a psychiatric nurse, and has apologized for not understanding. My depression, believe it or not, was caused by my thyroid being way out of whack. I had taken pills for years, always had my blood work done, no problems. However, when I finally decided to see my doctor last summer and actually tell him how I was feeling mentally, he ordered lab work and my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was 19. Normal should be no higher than 4. We are working on getting it back within the normal range. Had lab work this morning so very anxious to see the results. It's a slow process adjusting thyroid meds, but once doc increased my thyroid med, I started feeling "normal" very soon. My heart goes out to patients and families dealing with this problem.