View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
coopah

I grew up during the 50's in a town with a state mental hospital. A few teens were treated there and attended school with us. We accepted them at lunch and felt bad for them because they couldn't be with their families during the week. The hospital used to have cows that the adult patients cared for, fields that they tended, and had other jobs that helped create a community. When patients were deemed well enough to go into the outside world, employers would be sought and a job provided. My dad hired a man from the hospital who was a hard worker and took good care of himself. His treatment, therefore, was effective and my dad always treated him with respect.
My grandmother had electric shock treatment there, so I know about that. She elected to have it...she knew something was wrong with her and was hoping it would help. It did, but it's not something we have to do now or want to do, because there are meds that are much more effective and not as hard on the body.
We need to take the stigma away from mental health diseases. They are diseases and we need to work as hard for cures/helps with them as we do with the physical diseases.