View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 05:01 AM
IshtarsMom

Forgive the disjointedness of this post...it's running through my head and out my keyboard....I'm wondering if part of the problem with the illness/depression is the person is being "jumped on" or treated like a child..."Just take your meds and get over it". What if a real dialogue was started..adult to adult...where you ask..."I know you are having a difficult time...What is it about the medication that is giving you a problem?" Then continue by offering to help research side effects with them and get the person to focus on something positive to do about it. Little by Little... We say we don't know what to do but I think we treat this illness differently. Perhaps by using the same approach that is used so effectively here on the quilting board to solve difficult problems with quilting might help...Lots offer support from having the same problem...more offer research articles...lots of people for support...same principle I think...easier to take help offered when someone is truly being a friend. Listening and hand holding is really good if you are truly listening not thinking about what's for dinner...there are clues you just have to hear them and ask lots of questions... Get them to give you a picture..."What does it feel like when that happens". It is easy to get sucked down into someone's depression unless you go into it with a positive attitude...look up together the stats on how many people have that particular diagnosis..etc. Anyway you get the picture...And keep looking for doctor that listens too..Know the problems with the drugs they are being given and insist they listen and offer whatever research you have come up with...Too many times we expect doctors to solve our problems when we need to HELP THEM RESEARCH.

Last edited by IshtarsMom; 08-15-2014 at 05:05 AM.