View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM
cashs_mom

I have managed to overcome my emotional problems thru working with a 12 step group and the help of a holistic practitioner. It can be a long road and it does take work. Just like addiction, until someone is ready to do the work themselves, real change won't happen. No one else can "fix" them. I'm not big on the 'give 'em a pill and send them on their way" idea. While I do believe the drugs have their place in treating severe mental illness, I also believe that too many people get the pill and feel somewhat better and so don't really do the work to address the problem which is really sad. Many people are also put on drugs and never really evaluated further. They feel better and so they just keep taking the drug. That system does work for a while, but often because no real changes are made, it quits working for them at some point. I just pray that those that need help get it.

Also, just being clean or sober does not fix everything. There are underlying causes for the drug or alcohol use. If they are not addressed, there can be the same behaviours and thought patterns from the addicted days even though the addiction is no longer present. There's also the continuing battle with wanting the substance that is too much for some people to handle. Some sort of continuing support like AA or NA is very helpful to addicts, but often not sought out even though it's free. It's very sad.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 08-15-2014 at 09:02 AM.