View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 09:30 AM
J Miller

Christy,

The machine that started this thread is already in it's death throws. Made in 95 or thereabouts and virtually unused until yesterday when my wife made a pet tent with it, the plastic cam driven gear is already cracked. It was probably cracked when I took the pic on the other page, but I just didn't see it. How long it will last is a good question but I'd bet not long.
I looked it up and about choked. The cam drive gear for that machine is priced at $69.95. No way in the world are we gonna pay that much for it. The case it came in and the cams were worth the cost we paid, but the machine is not long for this world.

I made a pact with myself this morning that I will never again acquire any machine made by any company that I know has plastic gears. Sorry if that offends some here, but plastic = broken in my experience. I'm tired of repairing and replacing plastic parts.

I'm positive that 5808 you got has plastic gears. Check 'it, clean 'it, lube 'it, test sew with it, then go from there.

As for Berninas I have no idea what to suggest about greasing the metal / plastic gear thing. Candace knows more about Berninas than anyone else I know. You might ask her on that one.

Joe