Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
I wonder if you could try using the batik method instead of silk screen printing?
Resist dying? Well, I'm not sure. It could work, but it would require me to carve out 49 stamps plus one for the border. I know the one for the border might be a problem since it would be huge no matter what the size of the quilt is (I'm leaning towards 60.5"...I spent like three hours last night figuring out the sizes...so the border would get pretty big.) Plus, melted parafin and beeswax...I'm thinking that would get pretty messy. I remember trying to make candles once and that was a disaster. I can imagine dipping stamps into wax and then stamping onto fabric (not to mention dying the fabric) would turn into one giantic mess. Not that screen printing couldn't get messy, but ink seems a lot easier to clean up than wax.

On the other hand, the supplies for resist dying could be cheaper than screen printing. I'm not sure. I'd have to look into it first. I think something to melt the wax in and something to carve the stamps out of would be the things that cost the most. Wouldn't need to buy parafin wax. But I wouldn't know where to buy any of this. Possibly Hobby Lobby, but the cloest one is an hour away...