Old 09-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Rodney

So far I've only acquired one 1950s case. It's branded New Home and looks to be covered with a combination of an embossed paper and (possibly painted) fabric for a two tone cream and green effect. I think it may have actually been made from Masonite, not actual wood. I'm almost sad that it's in decent condition. A torn up one would reveal more of the construction details I was hoping to find. The inside of the top is covered with more paper.

An attractive cloth or paper covered case is certainly doable but getting that truly vintage look is a challenge.
Jim mentioned Tolex as a suitable covering. It's usually used for guitar cases and has been around forever. Art supply stores and scrapbooking stores may have suitable papers. Another option may be bookcloth.

I'm working on a case right now for my 1903 Singer model 27. This one is a light colored mystery wood that my brother and dad found years ago on the beach with mahogany doorskin panels on the sides. I think it'll look good but it won't look vintage. The base is mostly done and I'm starting on the top. I'll post pictures when it's done. Future plans, when I get a design finalized will be a tutorial on building an entire case.
Rodney