View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Stitchit123,

We already have mold. This basement leaks with every heavy rain, but has only flooded twice. Once last year just before I came down with e-coli and this time. Most of our stuff was off the floor but what was damaged was because of how deep the water got. Had it just got to a couple inches like usual, then we would have had no problems.

We haven't tried the bleach or anything else to kill the mold yet.

We found out about bleach / ammonia fumes years ago when we tried to bleach mop a kitchen floor that had been severely violated by tom cat. WHOOOOWEEEE that was a nasty combination.

Joe
I've known of an instance when a house blew up because someone poured chlorine and ammonia down the kitchen drain. It's not just the eye burning reactions. In another post Miriam made a comment to someone about using borax instead of bleach. I agree with her. Over time, I've learned that mold comes back with a vengance after being bleached. At this website, there is some good info. http://blacktoxicmolds.com/borax-kill-mold.php If I have not added this link properly, I found it at blacktoxicmolds.com I have used a mixture of tsp., vinegar, borax, and baking soda to scrub mildew off interior basement walls of concrete block after we took care of the water problem.