View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 AM
laynak

I looked up a photo of that quilt pattern and 'counted' the pieces in one that I assume was a king-sized quilt. Well over 2,300 pieces for the quilt top. If you consider the cost of the fabrics, batting, thread, backing, labor, and LAQ'ing by the simplest calculation, it's worth using a pricing template. There's a website I found that has one, which I can PM you if you'd like. Once I started using that, even a 50" square, in a very simple pattern, was no less than $250. I was surprised.
Prior to that, I usually priced quilts at my cost outlay, without any value applied toward my time spent making it because people might not consider the quilt affordable. When is that justified? Using a cost template is fairer to both you and them.
Think of what it costs for other 'services' based on time/supplies/skill: hair stylist, car repair, piano teacher, gardener, housekeeper, etc. and then consider what a comparable cost of your labor/materials/talent warrant. If you decide to price it below actual cost/value, be sure there's an appraisal of what the true value is to go with that quilt.
Or you could have a person buy all fabrics and supplies needed for the pattern, you put it together for them (determine an agreeable rate for your labor), send it out for LAQ'ing and binding they pay for directly, and then deliver the finished quilt. Then, there's no question as to the cost and value.