View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM
J Miller

Default Wizard ZZ machine update

Two years ago Miriam give me a rusted frozen up Wizard ZZ machine for parts.

You can see the rust under the face plate.

I worked on it now and again and it would not cooperate. The needle bar and presser foot bar were rusted tight. I soaked it in kerosene, sewing machine oil, penetrating oil, Tri-Flow and it would not budge.

Finally I took everything off of it that could be removed without damaging anything and broke out the propane torch.
There is no plastic in the nose of the machine, so I heated the bars up till they smoked then doused them in ATF. I can't remember how many times I did this, but finally that worked. I got them freed up.
I oiled the entire machine with ATF to make sure it was free. ( Note I don't recommend ATF, but at the time I was considering parting this machine out so I figured it couldn't hurt.)

About a year ago I put the machine and all it's parts in a cardboard box on my work bench in the garage. Today out of curiosity I went out there and gave it a turn. It's still free as can be. I worked all the controls, they are still free too.

So, now I have the urge to bring it inside and really do a thorough cleaning and adjusting and see if it sews. If so, since it has no motor or case, I'm thinking of trying it in a treadle. It's got lots of built in patterns, so if it worked it would be a neat all purpose treadle machine.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails wizard-zz.jpg