View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Mrs. SewNSew

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I learned to haggle from a master....
Most people appreciate the honesty and I think treating people decently does come back to you.
Rodney
Yes, same here. I learned by watching a master but have bought many a good karma point as well.

I brought home a machine one day that I never would have brought home in ordinary circumstances but when I arrived to see the machine it was obvious this person was under a lot of stress, was moving and not really capable of handling life in general. Parts were missing and misplaced from the machine and she was terribly flustered. There was duct tape trying to hold the cord in. The motor groaned in pain when she tried to demonstrate the machine while telling me it was nice and slow-good for a beginner. At some point it had stopped being about buying a cool sewing machine and more about respecting and connecting with another human being that really needed to feel ok. I talked to her about the move, life in general, bought the machine, loaded it in the truck and thanked the woman.

Often when dealing with real people a sewing machine has come up for sale because someone has passed on or has been moved into convalescent care. At one home I went to, it was a hoarding situation and the parent was under an eviction notice. The daughter told me they already had everything in storage that they possibly could and desperately needed to sell the rest but the mother was angry and would not let anyone in to see. I could feel the frustration and pain they were both going through.