Machine Shopping Etiquette

Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Machine Shopping Etiquette

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a scavenger. I enjoy the hunt, the bargain. I don't mind pawing through dust and detritus to find a great deal. And my enablers are my buddies.

Ideally, I want a price that is great for both buyer and seller. But as someone who buys frequently and never sells (though I will at some point), I'm interested in how you approach a machine with potential and the seller who owns it.

Some sellers may assume a collector will pay more (and I'd bet they're correct). Do you feign ignorance, failing to mention the 50 other machines you own? Or if the seller appears to be clueless, do you gently educate them as to why their machine isn't worth as much as they're charging? Do you explain the time and effort it takes to clean 10 years of dust and spider webs out of a machine, the costs of replacement parts, the nuances between model years, or do you take a much more efficient approach?

How do you approach a price negotiation? I've successfully brought down some prices I thought were somewhat high but to be honest, I don't like haggling. I think sellers list a machine for a certain price with assumed wiggle room but how much wiggling is too much? How low is a low-ball offer (in your mind)?

Have you ever had to explain the differences between eBay and CL to a CL seller? How did you go about it?

Etc., etc. Lots of topics here.

Also, there are some basic issues of etiquette such as showing up on time with appropriate cash, with enough muscle to heave it in the car, don't walk on their lawn, etc.

Got any horror stories?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:44 AM

I haven't been burned in my dealings but then I don't bother calling if the machine is priced above what I'm willing to pay. Every situation is different. If I run across one at a swap meet, yard sale, something of that nature and have cash in hand, I'll negotiate. I tend to be honest with them. I tell the owners I have other machines and how the market really is. Their eyes glaze over after a few minutes and they lower the price to get me out of there. I've found muttering to myself helps too.
Craig's List, I don't call unless I'm ok with the price and I don't haggle any if at all.
I figure the person will be less likely to sell the machine out from under me if they're getting full asking price. Too many of the "make offer" type people are hoping for a bidding war. I usually won't bother. The one's citing Ebay as their price guide really don't get my attention either, they tend to be over priced.
Rodney
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Know what you are buying (seriously...)
Know what it is worth TO YOU.
Leave emotional attachments out of it (awww how cute)
Be polite
Be honest
Be on time
Be willing to chat a bit.

The last 4 can also get you referrals to other people/machines.

I have had a case where I was very up front with a seller (in person) that they had seriously undervalued a machine, not only did they not try to raise the price but they offered to include the "extras" that they had planned to sell separately, because "you were so nice and honest with us"

EDIT: I forgot to add that I have purchased MANY machine that were too pricey for my budget because of sending a message like the following;

Dear blah blah,

I see you have listed your XYZ sewing machine for the price of $MAJOR and I do wish you good fortune selling it for that price.

However, should you find that you are not able to do so, please consider my offer of $REASONABLE. I have cash in hand and am available at your convenience.

Steve

Last edited by SteveH; 10-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 PM

This is a good topic! I am laughing already because I also love the chase. I love hunting for them, finding ones I want and bargaining. Yeah, I generally have an idea what it's worth to me but a lot of factors can play into it. I have paid more for machines because the seller's heart was breaking and it belonged to their mother. I figured I was buying good karma as well as the machine in that case.

Other times I really look them over "muttering" lol..."oooh that doesn't look good" and am honest if the machine needs new wiring to be safe, the oils are really vanished, parts frozen etc. I'll tell people if they are interested I know the place in town charges 60 plus parts and they could have it working again..but if they don't want to bother I will take it off their hands because I like to tinker. I will offer 5-10 bucks. I admit to "tinkering" but don't like people to know I collect them for fear of losing my bargaining edge or them thinking I'm crazy!

I avoid even dealing with those people quoting eBay prices or showing ads.. I offered a gal in town 20.00 once for a crinkle 99 in a bentwood case and she was highly insulted and showed an ad where they were worth much more on eBay! She herself paid 100.00 for the machine a year ago...but didn't even know if it works or how to use it. This was over 6 months ago and she still has the machine even though she has lowered her price to 20.00 now.

It's a balancing act because I have also told people they were selling too low. I haven't shared my Featherweight story yet but I answered a CL ad from a guy who was clearing out his mothers things and found 4 old Singers (ALL featherweights!) and didn't have a clue what they were worth. His ad said he would rely on the buyers to offer a fair price. I almost died! I called him on the phone and explained they were in high demand and what they were called and said he should do some research... the machines he had should bring at least 300.00 each. He was amazed and said thank you. The next day he sold me one for 145.00. I chatted with him a long time and he was so fun and he also gave me a box full of quilting magazines for free.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

I guess your answers would be different if you are selling or buying... My dad still sings to the fussy babies, "Buy Low, Sell High, Buy Low, Sell High, This is the Jewish Lullaby." over and over... We've teased him about that a lot - and yes I got educated on my Daddy's knee at a few months old. Was it really a shock when my oldest son tracked family roots back to the Jewish ghetto in Germany??? That said, negotiation is an art. Fix a price in your head. Walk if it isn't close if you are buying. When you sell you have to be realistic but so does the buyer. Some how you have to come to an agreement whether you are buying or selling. If you are buying one that has obviously been nicely set up and a decent price don't insult the person by offering half. If you read the ad and replied you pretty much thought it was an ok deal... If it is a wonderful machine and way out of line on the price, make an offer when you initially contact them. If they don't have a price on it, well you have to read their mind. They are asking for an insult IMHO. I have insulted some folks. There is one on CL right now I insulted 6 months ago... I'm not paying what he is asking and seems nobody else will either. At what point does reality settle in??? Oh and I have offered a very low price for an over priced machine and hit a home run before. Usually then I go pick it up in about 10 minutes or as soon as I can get some cash out of an ATM....
Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 AM

I don't like bargaining - at all. never have liked it. If the price corresponds to how much I want the machine I'll pay it - otherwise I pass unless they offer a lower price. I've even passed on some good prices just because I don't have time for troubleshooting and the machine wasn't on my 'must have' or 'want really bad' lists. actually not sure I have anything on those lists right now...a hot pink Morse was pretty high up a while back and still might bounce around there now and then...but apparently the singer 319 and 306 aren't high enough because I didn't bid high enough to win either and now the desire has pretty much passed. Now I'm thinking I need a handcrank or another treadle - local place has one of those Davis Vertical Feed treadles with the 'toys' available but it's higher than I want to pay though I can't say it's overpriced esp for part of the cost being to service it. I haven't tried bargaining - just asked how much it was and doubt I'll attempt bargaining - after all they're a business and need to make some profit - not like it's sitting in someone's garage taking up space.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 AM

My dad bought cars at auction and resold them. Yes, part of what he did was selling used cars. He took me to auctions so I could drive one home if he bought it. He'd look them over before the auction and he told me, "Set a price in your head and don't go over it." That has been good advice. Set the price you want to pay. And be nice to the seller instead of pointing out all the flaws...they already know what they are. Nice pays...arrrogant doesn't.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
...."doubt I'll attempt bargaining - after all they're a business and need to make some profit - not like it's sitting in someone's garage taking up space.
This is interesting to me because I feel exactly the opposite! If it's a business I feel it's their job to get as much of my money as possible for the item, and it's my job to hold onto as much as possible. I will bargain more cut throat with a business. They have high mark ups and their business will not live or die on the strength of this one deal. A business also has no emotional attachment to the item where in a personal negotiation the seller has owned this machine or their parent or grandparent has often owned the machine and they feel a connection to it. I will be more gentle in my negotiations and more generous in my offer with a person.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
This is interesting to me because I feel exactly the opposite! If it's a business I feel it's their job to get as much of my money as possible for the item, and it's my job to hold onto as much as possible. I will bargain more cut throat with a business. They have high mark ups and their business will not live or die on the strength of this one deal. A business also has no emotional attachment to the item where in a personal negotiation the seller has owned this machine or their parent or grandparent has often owned the machine and they feel a connection to it. I will be more gentle in my negotiations and more generous in my offer with a person.

x2 on this for me!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Before I got my 401 with the desk cabinet, I'd been looking quite awhile for another machine. Some of the prices I saw on CL were ridiculous and I was just looking for something small, I thought. The prices I had seen seemed outrageous for no better condition than they were in. Few places down here many prices were also outrageous. I'm not good at bartering. Found out when I got my 401 I was better than I thought. The prices I've seen here for FWs hv ranged from 350.00 - 950.00. I will not pay that for a machine that needs this or that part and not in that good shape. DH likes "our" 401. She has finally been given a name 'Sadie" after his Grandmother who passed away last year. Weird because I thought it looked like a Sadie. I never knew his grandmother' name.