Machine Shopping Etiquette

Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Those are such "it depends on . . . . " questions.

From reading some of these posts, many of you don't "need" another sewing machine for sewing????

So then it goes to "entertainment/collecting"?

I think being polite goes a long way in any negotiation. I acquired two Necchis for way less than they were worth - even AFTER repeatedly telling the sellers they could probably get a lot more for the machines from a different buyer.

It probably doesn't do much for getting a reduced price if one shows up in a Rolls Royce and flashes a wad of large denomination bills, either.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM

I learned to haggle from a master. He collocted old fishing reels and pretty much anything to do with fishing. He would probably roll over in his grave if he saw me now because I really don't haggle much anymore. One important thing he taught me was to be prepared to walk away from a deal. Set your price and don't go over it even if it hurts. In his later years he was far more gentle in his negotiations, many times paying more than the asking price if the person didn't have a clue about the real value and was nice.
Most people appreciate the honesty and I think treating people decently does come back to you.
Rodney
Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I learned to haggle from a master....
Most people appreciate the honesty and I think treating people decently does come back to you.
Rodney
Yes, same here. I learned by watching a master but have bought many a good karma point as well.

I brought home a machine one day that I never would have brought home in ordinary circumstances but when I arrived to see the machine it was obvious this person was under a lot of stress, was moving and not really capable of handling life in general. Parts were missing and misplaced from the machine and she was terribly flustered. There was duct tape trying to hold the cord in. The motor groaned in pain when she tried to demonstrate the machine while telling me it was nice and slow-good for a beginner. At some point it had stopped being about buying a cool sewing machine and more about respecting and connecting with another human being that really needed to feel ok. I talked to her about the move, life in general, bought the machine, loaded it in the truck and thanked the woman.

Often when dealing with real people a sewing machine has come up for sale because someone has passed on or has been moved into convalescent care. At one home I went to, it was a hoarding situation and the parent was under an eviction notice. The daughter told me they already had everything in storage that they possibly could and desperately needed to sell the rest but the mother was angry and would not let anyone in to see. I could feel the frustration and pain they were both going through.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Christy,
You are so right - I've seen some pretty weird stuff, too.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 PM

I don't buy machines, as a rule. My son cruises through Goodwill occasionally -- The first machine he found there was a white Featherweight, in pristine condition and it sews very well. I don't collect machines, honestly, I don't! LOL! Nevertheless, I seem to acquire them. Generally, if we buy a machine, it's one we intend (I intend) to sew on. If I were looking for a FW, I wouldn't even inquire about a machine priced at $600. That's too much $. The second machine my son found at Goodwill was a Singer 403A -- purchase price $41.00 (the FW was $50.00 just a couple of years ago). I have an old White treadle that has been promised to me (for free), but I haven't picked it up yet because of back problems. I don't know, I'm not REALLY a collector! I use the machines I have! The only thing I have on my "want list" right now is a FW as a gift for my cousin, but my $$$$ are very limited right now, so it will have to wait for the "right" deal!

Jeanette
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
From reading some of these posts, many of you don't "need" another sewing machine for sewing????
Heeheeheeheehee! Umm yeah.... that might be a few of us!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

Just had another experience that lines up with this thread...

I found a Singer that I wanted on the auction site but it was listed for just over $100. They did have a make offer available, so I thought i'd get the negotiations started. I usually offer low so that when the inevitable counter offer comes back the adjusted price would still be in my range.

I also included my usual note about what I do with my collection and the shows we do.

The seller accepted my initial offer(!?!) with a note to say she had REALLY hoped it would be bought by a person who would appreciate it as opposed to flipping it or just hording it on a shelf to just collect dust.

Some sellers are motivated by cash, others are motivated by more humanistic reasons.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I got one last night - I answered an ad that said make offer. I said my offer is to fix the machine so it will have some more life let me know how much you want. I got a pretty good price. It will be one for my petting zoo.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM

the shop I mentioned I a nice small antique shop that specializes in singer fw and the really old machines including treadles and handcrank. ver small and very helpful. I haven't bought many from individuals and when I have I haven't bargained (at least not yet!) but I would be more likely to pay the asking price or a bit more from someone who seems to care about the machine than someone who doesn't. I did the 'make offer' on ebay a few days ago and was surprised they accepted but the buy it now was too high for the age(wasn't vintage or collectible) and missing accessory box and accessories (I have those from broken machine). my offer with the shipping was less than half the asking buy it now price...hmm maybe I still offered too much LOL