Old 10-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Jo C

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
The way I do mine is probably unacceptable by the Quilt Police but it works for me. I quilt all my blocks individually with just the block & batting--no backing. After the blocks are all quilted, I add the sashing between the blocks and join them together to make the top. I then use one piece for my backing, spray basting the quilted top to the backing. I then quilt all the sashing strips. This attached the backing to the quilt top. When you look at my quilt from the back the only quilting you see is what's been done in the sashing. I've done this with different size blocks from 6" to 12" and I've had no problems with the batting shifting or anything.
yep, right now I have two quilts going with the same method. On one I joined four blocks together and am quilting each section. The other, quilting individual blocks. So far so goid and no messing with adding extra strips. The only thing I'm doing different is adding muslin on the back of the batting so the batting doesn't get caught in the feed dogs.