Thread: SCRAP FABRIC
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
omak

Originally Posted by butterjoy
Thank you so much for your nice answer. I washed and recycled old blankets, mattress cover sheets or even old bedspreads for the center of the quilts. I used yarn for the tied knots along front of the quilts and I used polyester thread to sew the quilts. I could not afford buying the actual matting for all of the quilts I made for family Christmas gifts. Hopefully they will last a long time. Thank you for telling me how to search for scrap quilts. Although I am in my late 50's, I am still a beginner and learning. I really do enjoy sewing and learning. Any advice is welcome from everyone.
I look forward to knowing your response to Quiltville and your other search finds.
My mom purchased some quilts as gifts from a Ladies' Missionary Society and gave each of us one. Some of the fabric was not so new and in time, any discrepancies of the seams, etc began to show. I just haven't had the heart to get rid of it, so I make turned patches and zigzag them over the the top of the places where the fabric has torn or even disappeared ... I havent tried using the blankets or mattress pads as batting in quilts, but I have gathered a number of aforementioned products for just that purpose.
I have also found flannel sheets are garage sales to use as batting ... even with my quilting frame/machine it has not been a problem to quilt.
Stick with us, kid - - you will be scrapping and FMQ-ing with us in NO TIME! <wave>;)