Thread: Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Vicki1212

I'm a new quilter and only quilt with a machine, it's super easy! My motivation comes from Google. I love modern quilts so I pick a colour, for example blue. Then I google 'modern blue quilts' and browse through the hundreds of results. Without fail, I will see one I really love and that will inspire me to want to make one of my own. Modern quilt patterns are great to start with as they are not as daunting. Complicated patterns can quickly become very discouraging.

I started by taking six beginner classes for machine quilting to learn all the techniques. They are really easy to do once you have been taught and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish. (Online classes don't work for me as I can never commit to finishing once I have started.)

Other quilters are definitely excellent motivators so if you can quilt in a group, that would be great. I have quilted all my own tops with a DSM too, using straight line quilting, with awesome results. What about 'quilting as you go' if you want to do FMQ? I haven't tried this but have seen some amazing work.

Good luck! I hope you wake up tomorrow and find your motivation waiting for you at the foot of your bed ! If you do, stitch it to your side so that it can never get away!