Thread: Living space
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Shoofly1

I'm in almost the same position as you. Right now I'm getting social security plus working part time, and within the next year or so I want to completely quit working and will thus need to downsize. I'm looking at retiring to Green Valley, AZ which is a little south of Tucson, but a higher elevation and not as hot. It has the most affordable properties I've seen and the most flexibility in lifestyle from homes to townhouses to mobile homes, all in nice areas. I'm thinking about getting a 2-bedroom, 588 sq.ft. villa in Villa West or Villa East areas. These are central areas within walking distance to a shopping center, doctors, bank, and transportation. Also a new hospital is to be completed early 2015 just to the south of Green Valley. The prices range from about $35,000 for 1 BD up to a high of about $60,000 for 2 BD. The HOA fee is $195/month and includes AC/Heating, Common area maintenance, exterior maintenance of unit, garbage collection, pest control, roof repair and replacement, water, blanket insurance policy. They have green park-like areas and swimming pools included in the HMO. Many villas are available furnished. Property taxes run about $400-$450 in the Villas. There are many senior activities in the area, and also many organizations which assist seniors who need transportation, in-home care, etc. There is a quilt guild, many volunteer opportunities, and of course golf courses . They also have Green Valley Recreation which one can join with 13 recreation centers offering pools, exercise equipment, movies, dancing, workshops like jewelry making and woodworking, a computer club, hiking, tennis, etc. It's retirement heaven! Whenever you get serious about an area, it's fun to subscribe to the local newspaper so you can become familiar with the area before making a commitment. Good luck & maybe I'll see you there some day.