Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Lori S

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Ladies...i have another question that i would LOVE to have answered....how is it that my frig magnets will not stick to the front of my "stainless steel" refrigerator OR my stainless steel front dish washer...(different manufacturers) .....they stick to my stainless steel utensils.....Personally .... i have begun to think it's not stainless steel at all - but what do i know.
The answer is that not all stainless is the same. There are different types and grades. Good stainless ( 304 or 316 stainless) has a high nickel content and a magnet will not stick... Lower type stainless ( 400 series) has a higher level of different metals and magnets will stick. Its the nickel content that makes stainless not rust or corrode. I deal will all different types of stainless all day.. this is one of the most common misconceptions .. that if it says stainless it won't rust.... so not true. Another is that you can wash stainless with just about anything.. also not true... bleach will over time corrode or pit even high quality stainless.