Thread: SCRAP FABRIC
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 AM
omak

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I don't think theres a rule to scrap quilting. I call it HAVING FUN.....
Nope! You are correct ... no "rules" per se ... There are people who subscribe to cutting pieces all the same size and shape, throw them into a bag, draw out one piece at a time and put them together ... other options are to take whatever piece/whatever color you grab from a paper bag and sew a straight line to connect the two together, trim to a certain size ... viola! Crazy quilt of sorts! Bevanger has a tutorial for that, if I remember correctly ...
and, then, there are scrap quilters who pick a block pattern, and put colors together that compliment or contrast with each other, and when they have a bunch, they put them together ...
I think scrap quilting a very accomodating to doing what you want in whatever manner you choose!
A new friend of mine is a 90 year old woman who was tired of reading all of the time and wanted to get back into quilting.
I figured I was going to have to grow up and actually follow a pattern after I saw some of the quilts she had made years before.
The only kits I had available were scrap quilts ... basic pattern, all the pieces cut, put them together the best way you can ... she didn't like it ... she liked knowing how many yards of what she was working with. She likes knowing what color goes next to what other color ... in other words, she likes MAPS!
After the second scrap quilt, she greeted me at the door with: I am soooo loving this scrap quilting! Forget that orderly stuff! I want to make MORE! Scrap quilts all the way!:D