Thread: Hand quilting
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 02:23 PM
quiltingcandy

When i took a class at my LQS the lady provided a sandwich piece about 15 inch square. She had put a couple lines on it so we could get started faster and have something to follow. She also gave us ideas on how to mark out pieces in the future and we were able to try a couple on our sandwich. Then she told us how she does it. There is always one person in a class that has to say there is an easier way or a different way but this lady basically said they had paid money for her to teach her method so that was what she was going to do. But there was no hoop and it was a rocking motion - fairly easy and most like Roxanne McElroy's version and Georgie Bonesteel's. Anyway, she suggested we keep the practice piece for the future because it always helps to start with a few warm up stitches before getting into your actual quilt. And I found she was right. I still do a few inches to get my flow and then work on the quilt.

Not sure if that will help you much - I always want to make every stitch count but for some reason I have found a few warm-up stitches help.

There is a video from an old Simply Quilts episode, Liuxin Newman shows her method of quilting using a clear plastic. She uses a hoop but it shows what she does above an below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

Good luck!