Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Hand quilting

I am trying to teach myself to hand quilt and it is not going so good. I think I need some advice
from the pros here on the board. I feel like I am all fingers, some of my stitches are bigger then others and I don't know really what to do with my left hand under the quilt. Can anyone please help.
Thank you so much
Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Have you looked to see if a LQS has a class?? Usually hand quilting classes are the most reasonable priced classes at least they use to be at my former LQS.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Some good stuff on youtube....I process it better when I can actually see how people do it. Oh and patience is a great friend with practise you will get there.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Craftypete, The 1st thing I'd suggest is to watch some videos on YouTube. Everyone does things just a little different. I like to quilt without a hoop but a close friend only likes to use a hoop. I prefer longer needles and not the short quilting needles. I quilt coming toward myself and not sideways. It's best to practice on small things first like mug rugs.
You might try using perle cotton (#8) and a crewel needle and doing big stitch quilting until you get comfortable.
Good luck and keep at it.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 PM

The two best books I found on hand quilting are 'That Perfect Stitch' by Roxanne McElroy, and 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain', by Liuxin Newman. The first shows the traditional quilting stitch, and can probably be found at your local library (or on amazon); the second shows a slightly different method developed by a woman who found the traditional method problematic; I bought mine used on amazon.

It's hard to explain the mechanics of hand quilting without visual aids. It's such a difficult thing to describe -- a delicate balance of actions and tensions. I believe that for most people, it takes a good deal of practice getting it right. I would strongly recommend that you start on a practice piece, not on a quilt that you want to turn out really well.

I don't know what's available on YouTube, but there's bound to be some demos.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM

You use your left hand to feel that the needle has gone through all 3 layers.

If you use a hoop or frame, be sure the quilt is loose in the hoop. You don't want it stretched taut.

I agree with others to watch some youtube videos and take a class if you can.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:23 PM

When i took a class at my LQS the lady provided a sandwich piece about 15 inch square. She had put a couple lines on it so we could get started faster and have something to follow. She also gave us ideas on how to mark out pieces in the future and we were able to try a couple on our sandwich. Then she told us how she does it. There is always one person in a class that has to say there is an easier way or a different way but this lady basically said they had paid money for her to teach her method so that was what she was going to do. But there was no hoop and it was a rocking motion - fairly easy and most like Roxanne McElroy's version and Georgie Bonesteel's. Anyway, she suggested we keep the practice piece for the future because it always helps to start with a few warm up stitches before getting into your actual quilt. And I found she was right. I still do a few inches to get my flow and then work on the quilt.

Not sure if that will help you much - I always want to make every stitch count but for some reason I have found a few warm-up stitches help.

There is a video from an old Simply Quilts episode, Liuxin Newman shows her method of quilting using a clear plastic. She uses a hoop but it shows what she does above an below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
There is a video from an old Simply Quilts episode, Liuxin Newman shows her method of quilting using a clear plastic. She uses a hoop but it shows what she does above an below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

Good luck!
thanks for that link! it's a very interesting method
Old 11-05-2014, 04:14 AM

I am a self-taught quilter for the most part. That said, I was fortunate enough to start my quilting adventure when Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson was still on the air. And I had a friend who is also a hand quilter. I agree with all the folks who suggest either a class at your LQS or try videos. Perhaps your local library has some videos available as well.

I, agree, it usually takes a few stitches to get your rhythm going. Size of your stitches is not as important as the consistency of the size of your stitch. Over time, your stitches will become smaller. I've tried the longer needles but am more fond of the smaller quilting 'betweens'. I think they are a sturdier needle. Find yourself a thimble that you are comfortable using. I use a 'thimblelady' thimble. It's a bit longer than a traditional thimble; open-ended; and you push with the pad of your finger vs the tip, thus making it (certainly for me) a more comfortable action.

I use a thimble on my middle finger; have a rubber finger tip (like used to be used to count pages/money) on my index finger. Easier for me to grip the needle when finished with that group of stitches. The under finger gets quite pricked and eventually calloused from feeling that needle tip coming through. There are implements out there to help with that but I've never gotten comfortable with any of them.

Hand quilting is a skill that typically takes quite a bit of practice before becoming proficient. Keep at it...you'll get there. It's all about the process. Not a race.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
Some good stuff on youtube....I process it better when I can actually see how people do it. Oh and patience is a great friend with practise you will get there.
Totally agree.