Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 11-05-2014, 04:37 AM

My best advice is practice, practice, patience, & practice. Hand quilting is like many other things in life we no longer have to concentrate on to do it. As all have said lots of good video's on YT and practice, practice. I believe Craftsy also has some classes and sometimes they are on sale. I can tell you though alot depends on the batting, and the top. Also if you quilt very close to the ditch or 1/4 inch away from the ditch. But overall, practice is the key. My way of HQ'ng is different than most, So find your comfort zone and don't give up.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Thank all of you so much for your advice on hand quilting I will keep trying.
Pat
Old 11-05-2014, 01:14 PM

I am left-handed and hand quilt toward my body; righties quilt away from themselves. I use a hoop that sits in my lap so I can keep my right hand underneath. Do not have the hoop so tight that you can "bounce a quarter on it." Keep a practice piece to warm up on every time before you start on your "real" quilt. Your fingers and brain will remember the skill after much practice, but always warm up. I have a treasured "Tommie Lane" thimble which never leaves my home. It has a cut out for the fingernail and is my favorite ever thimble. Also, do not obsess about making such tiny stitches at first; concentrate on making them even, even if they look large to you. As you gain experience, your stitches will become smaller. Friends of mine like Roxanne needles, # 10. The do not bend as easily. I prefer John James needles, size 10. Have fun on your journey.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:03 AM

Hand Quilting to me doesn't have to be Perfect. Its your Love working on this Project that is told in the Story of your stitches.. Machine Quilting to me is very Cold and Mechanical.no matter the pattern..... I would love any thing hand Quilted = It has more personality and Warmth...Would feel like I was being Hugged by the Quilter... ! ! ! !
Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 AM

When I first tried hand quilting, I did a small piece -- an Ohio star block with an appliqued heart in the center of it -- that I thought really looked good. The colors I chose were nice, my stitches were even, and the heart seemed to float above the rest of the block. I was very proud. The ladies in the group kept making fun of my "toenail grabbers," though, so I've done my quilting on the sewing machine ever since. I admire and envy the talent and skill it takes to do a really nice hand-quilted piece of work.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Just do it. Consistent is more important than small. Quilting is an art, no two should be the same. There is just something special with a hand quilted item. Try to remember, each stitch is a stitch of love. While I am stitching, it seems my stitches are too big. After I step away for a bit, they sre perfect (in my eye). While you are checking out videos, try one more, hoopless hand quilting.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
When I first tried hand quilting, I did a small piece -- an Ohio star block with an appliqued heart in the center of it -- that I thought really looked good. The colors I chose were nice, my stitches were even, and the heart seemed to float above the rest of the block. I was very proud. The ladies in the group kept making fun of my "toenail grabbers," though, so I've done my quilting on the sewing machine ever since. I admire and envy the talent and skill it takes to do a really nice hand-quilted piece of work.
What were the 'toenail grabbers'? Big stitches? I'm sorry their comments put you off hand quilting!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:06 AM

You have some great answers here. I'm self taught also, and taking some time on line with youtube videos is a nice help. So much out there to watch. Stitches will vary as you are starting out, and don't let that worry you. Work on practice pieces. My first project was a king size quilt as a gift. You would laugh at how big my stitches were. It really does get better with practice. Your left hand will be your "eyes" behind the quilt. As you watch the videos, you will see a couple of ways to work you needle. Rock it or poke it. I found that poking the needle through the top, and coming back up through the bottom worked better for me when I started out. I had more control over the fabric. Also, it was tight in a hoop, keeping it flat. Rocking a needle through came later, and you need more slack. Georgia Bonesteel gives great tutorials. Check if your local quilt shop has classes, or a group that you can sit in on and watch. You could also contact a local quilt guild to find if someone will work with you. Feel free to PM me if I can help you in any way. I understand your challenge.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:32 AM

I am determined to learn the hand quilting method using Aunt Becky's Finger protector on the underneath hand. I hate getting my finger pricked. I googled Aunt Becky's and found this great video. There are also some other videos if you google it.

Video for aunt becky quilting tool► 15:34► 15:34
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKrAHJKAwU
Sep 5, 2014 - Uploaded by LuAnn Kessi
Learn the proper way to use the Aunt Becky's Finger Protector. ... Aunt Becky's and includes ...
Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 AM

I watched a live demo by The Thimblelady http://www.thimblelady.com/ at the Houston Quilt Festival last week. She doesn't use a hoop, and she doesn't prick her bottom finger. It is worth the time to watch her YouTube. Visit her website for tools and books.