Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 AM
w1613s

My mantra for sewing is, "if my machine can't do it, neither can I." I have been blessed with talented machines. Not me, the machines.

I also like applique. And another confession, I like to experiment. And to cut to the chase so if you don't want to read the rest of this verbosity you can get the no-frills message: If you have interesting stitches available to you, consider busing them for raw edge applique. And consider threads that will unite the design with the feel of whatever you are piecing. Now keep reading if you have the inclunation. Otherwise, I wish you a gentle day with time to sew.

I finished a Halloween quilt top (UFO to date) and had lots of bits and pieces left over. Ha! Play time! Flag, pillow, pillowcase, totebag - who knows - just a finished square to this point. But a rather unprepossessing square. Ah, applique to the rescue. A large, black "Boo." Wonky cattiwampus placement. My usual method for securing applique - place on background and sew around very close to the edge - pins, small stitches, loosened upper tension in case of extreme need to rip.

My elderly Bernina 1630 has a respectible number of interesting built-in stitches and the capability of altering them (wider, longer, 180 degree rotation, etc.) I picked a stitch that attracted me for this Halloween experiment, manipulated the stitch, and picked thread - varigated. Note: When all was said and done, I decided the thread pick was important - like the stitch pick. Anyway, varigated embroidery thread, Halloweenish colors.

Back to the stitch issue. The one I picked looked as though I was scribbling on a piece of paper - sort of an impromptu, ratty satin stitch (forgive me Bernina). No regular width EXCEPT on one side and no regular stitch spacing; just back and forth zig zag, alfresco. Perfect for appliqueing around the edge of a big, black "Boo" on an appliqueing/piecing experiment.

My guild and I enjoyed the result. They are used to me hauling in strange things and are very gracious with suggestions and kind words.

Again, consider whatever stitches you have on your machine as well as what thread would add interest as well as attaching the applique to th background. And do have a gentle day with time to sew.

Thank you for your patience,

Pat