Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM
OhCanada

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
wow Valerie that is a stunning pineapple quilt...great job.. will consider that design.. I don't have time to hand quilt it although I would LOVE too! Thanks for the suggestion. Do u live full time in Panama? We have been thinking about renting a place in Boquete or David. We have been thinking about this for a year or so... Have been thru the canal a few times. If you have the time could you tell us a little about living in Panama ? thanks! BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE that MOLA as your avatar! Want to learn how to do that!! Did you make that one??? thanks Kennie!!
Hi Kennie - thanks - I would like to see your pineapple quilt - it's a fascinating block that changes so much depending upon colours and values used. I've sent you a PM about living in Panama, I think that Boquete would be a lovely place to rent for awhile, and even to live (if you are not a city person).

The mola in my avatar is a very traditional design, incorporating geometric shapes and animals and using a multitude of colours. It was made by a Guna woman. I have a photo of her below, with some of her other work hanging in the background. If you look closely you will see that she has a mola sewn into her top, again, very typical dress of the Guna ladies. Also the molas hanging on the left hand side are 'touristic' molas - made to appeal to the tourists, the colours are more controlled and the animals more 'realistic'. The molas on the right are quite different, designs which have been handed down from mother to daughter for many generations. Although both are beautiful, I prefer the traditional molas - I love the sense of history they impart. I think that it is very clever of the Guna ladies to make both styles of molas - they have a good business sense, it is a very matriarchal society.

It's on my list of things to do, purchase more authentic molas to sew into a wall hanging, purses, table runners, etc for gifts for family and friends back in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails guna-lady.jpg