Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need quilting design for 48 x 48 pineapple wall hanging >

need quilting design for 48 x 48 pineapple wall hanging

need quilting design for 48 x 48 pineapple wall hanging

Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Default need quilting design for 48 x 48 pineapple wall hanging

any help would be appreciated in helping me decide on a quilting design... don't like STID... need to have finished (at least QUILTED) by Thanksgiving. It isn't very big so should go fast. I would just like an edge to edge if possible. I am just STUCK on a design to enhance the blocks... Thanks in advance. I can do on DM or long arm (pantograph) or *GASP* free motion (not too good at THAT!) lol !! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

here's an example from the QB Quilt Gallery http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...30-340846.html
Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Very pretty quilt. Thanks! You are always so helpful..
Old 11-18-2014, 03:40 PM

Hi - overlapping circles can be very striking - I just posted a photo of a pineapple quilt I made under the Pictures forum which is quilted with circles if you want to see an example
Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 PM

wow Valerie that is a stunning pineapple quilt...great job.. will consider that design.. I don't have time to hand quilt it although I would LOVE too! Thanks for the suggestion. Do u live full time in Panama? We have been thinking about renting a place in Boquete or David. We have been thinking about this for a year or so... Have been thru the canal a few times. If you have the time could you tell us a little about living in Panama ? thanks! BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE that MOLA as your avatar! Want to learn how to do that!! Did you make that one??? thanks Kennie!!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
wow Valerie that is a stunning pineapple quilt...great job.. will consider that design.. I don't have time to hand quilt it although I would LOVE too! Thanks for the suggestion. Do u live full time in Panama? We have been thinking about renting a place in Boquete or David. We have been thinking about this for a year or so... Have been thru the canal a few times. If you have the time could you tell us a little about living in Panama ? thanks! BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE that MOLA as your avatar! Want to learn how to do that!! Did you make that one??? thanks Kennie!!
Hi Kennie - thanks - I would like to see your pineapple quilt - it's a fascinating block that changes so much depending upon colours and values used. I've sent you a PM about living in Panama, I think that Boquete would be a lovely place to rent for awhile, and even to live (if you are not a city person).

The mola in my avatar is a very traditional design, incorporating geometric shapes and animals and using a multitude of colours. It was made by a Guna woman. I have a photo of her below, with some of her other work hanging in the background. If you look closely you will see that she has a mola sewn into her top, again, very typical dress of the Guna ladies. Also the molas hanging on the left hand side are 'touristic' molas - made to appeal to the tourists, the colours are more controlled and the animals more 'realistic'. The molas on the right are quite different, designs which have been handed down from mother to daughter for many generations. Although both are beautiful, I prefer the traditional molas - I love the sense of history they impart. I think that it is very clever of the Guna ladies to make both styles of molas - they have a good business sense, it is a very matriarchal society.

It's on my list of things to do, purchase more authentic molas to sew into a wall hanging, purses, table runners, etc for gifts for family and friends back in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails guna-lady.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Great picture! thanks for sharing! I prefer the ORIGINAL ones not the touristic BUT the parrot (upper left) is very nice. I purchased 2 molas in Cartagena Columbia a few years ago. The turtle is hand made and I suspect original. The geometric one is machine made which I did not realize when I bot it. I love it anyway!!! I was running out of countries to purchase them in. Columbia was our last stop so I was under pressure. lol !! Anyway! I love them. A friend of mine has collected them for years and finally got enough to make an entire quilt out of. It was STUNNING BUT you have to like that sort of "ART" A local guild member teaches it. I just can't pin her down on WHEN she is teaching the class. drat! Thanks for sharing and thank you for the information about Panama.... We are thinking maybe next October or so. I would love to come "meet" you. We didn't make it to Panama City when we were there cause we took a private tour thru the canal. Took most of the day. Got back to cruise ship at 8:30 P.M. Wheeeeee