View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 10:48 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
Hi, I'm a homeschooler and have been sewing with my daughters for years, so I have their sewing classes down. The tricky part is that I have a terrible black thumb. So, my DD's BFF's mom, who is a great gardener is going to teach my girls how to garden and I will teach her teenaged daughter how to sew. I want to teach her lessons that encompass many aspects of sewing, not just garments and quilts. I want to use lessons with applique and how to use fusibles, maybe do a few bags and things like that. So far I've come up with:

*An advent calendar wall hanging that uses applique, straight line quilting and hand sewing.
*A snowman ornament that teaches hand sewing and the blanket stitch.
*Embroidering a pre-printed block to teach hand embroidery.
*Making an apron with machine embroidered name on the front.
*Making a pillow with a Christmas Tree on the front to teach sewing with ribbons and machine sewing buttons onto fabric.

As you can see, I'm trying to come up with projects that will teach a few techniques per project. She has VERY limited sewing experience. Any thoughts?
Check some online sampler quilts that teach new skills with each block, and when she is done with all the blocks, she has a quilt she made to show for it, and remind her of the different lessons.