Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
Nice design!!! Are you planning on having the thin white outline in your design? I think you could do this using Batik method. You could start out with white material & pencil your designs onto individual squares (or rectangles) of material to be sewn together later. That way if one turns out good & maybe one doesn't, you wouldn't have to redo as many. You would start with waxing your thin white line & then dip in the salmon dye & air dry or cool setting on hair dryer & then wax the salmon color background & then dip in a brown dye for the final color. Then dry & iron out the wax. Voila!
What do you mean by a thin white outline?

My original idea for doing this was to take the outlines of the blocks with the seam allowances and the island design and screen print it onto the background fabric color. Then I could just cut out the outlines of the blocks and their islands would already be on so I could get right to sewing. I had thought about doing it all on one big piece of fabric (no cutting...almost like a panel), but its too big to do. But it'll cost me $60 if I screen print it...and that's if I use one screen that's big enough for two or three blocks, screen print, clean off the photo emulsion, put on new photo emulsion, put on two or three more blocks, screen print, repeat.

So I gotta come up with something else. Batik I'm kind of skeptical about...I just think with me it'll turn into one HUGE mess (me + hot wax = disater). Fabric stamping might work, but the Dharma Trading company didn't have permanent fabric ink in the color I need for stamping (which I'm wondering if you could just use screen printing ink for stamping) and they didn't have linolium blocks big enough for the stamps...plus I have to make 49 of them, which will get expensive unless I can come up with a cheap alternative.

Eh, I'll figure something out.