View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 AM
iadhikari

Default Singer 301 questions

Hello everyone,
Finally done with my class and my final 30-page paper (!), I happily got back to sewing and tuned up my black Singer 301 yesterday (cleared a thread jam and everything!). I discovered two problems -- both minor. First of all, the very first thread guide is missing -- the one that's sort of L-shaped, where the thread moves through right after leaving the spool. I didn't sew much with it yesterday, and the machine did okay without it, but I'd like to replace it. Does anyone know what that part is called/numbered, and where I might find it? I couldn't find it on eBay. Should I just rig a paper clip into that shape for now?
Also, the extension bed (long) won't stay up. It just flops right back down no matter how much I tighten the screws. Any suggestions on that, or just live with it? I had to tape it out of the way while I worked on the thread jam. Don't worry -- the tape was only there for about 5 minutes and I used low-adhesive tape.
Thanks for any help you can offer! I do like the 301 (not as much as my poor beat-up little Featherweight, though).
Ila