View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM
slbram17

Default Sewing Tip - bobbin issue

I just experienced this with some free motion quilting but it could apply to regular sewing too, I presume.

I was getting eyelashes on the top of my quilt sandwich all of a sudden. I knew I hadn't changed thread or bobbins, or made any other changes. I checked the bobbin case to make sure it was still clean, even knowing that I had just cleaned it, rethreaded the bobbin and top thread. Still eyelashes.

I hate this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I removed the bobbin (top loading but I have had this happen with side loading bobbins too) and didn't see anything in the tension area. But I have cleaned bobbins out before to find a tiny tiny piece of thread inside the tension that was causing the problem. And that's what this was, a tiny piece of thread lodging down inside the bobbin case. In order to access, I had to loosen the tension (using the tiny screw on the front of the case) and use a dental pick with a tiny brush on the end. It pulled up the thread and fixed the issue.

Just passing this along. As stated above, I had experienced this with old and new machines. And different threads too.

Maybe it might help someone else. I don't always think of this when I have issues since it only happens rarely.

Serita