Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Tip - bobbin issue >

Sewing Tip - bobbin issue

Sewing Tip - bobbin issue

Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Sewing Tip - bobbin issue

I just experienced this with some free motion quilting but it could apply to regular sewing too, I presume.

I was getting eyelashes on the top of my quilt sandwich all of a sudden. I knew I hadn't changed thread or bobbins, or made any other changes. I checked the bobbin case to make sure it was still clean, even knowing that I had just cleaned it, rethreaded the bobbin and top thread. Still eyelashes.

I hate this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I removed the bobbin (top loading but I have had this happen with side loading bobbins too) and didn't see anything in the tension area. But I have cleaned bobbins out before to find a tiny tiny piece of thread inside the tension that was causing the problem. And that's what this was, a tiny piece of thread lodging down inside the bobbin case. In order to access, I had to loosen the tension (using the tiny screw on the front of the case) and use a dental pick with a tiny brush on the end. It pulled up the thread and fixed the issue.

Just passing this along. As stated above, I had experienced this with old and new machines. And different threads too.

Maybe it might help someone else. I don't always think of this when I have issues since it only happens rarely.

Serita
Old 11-30-2014, 10:44 AM

I have had this happen occasionally as well. It only takes a tiny piece of thread to cause problems.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by marilynr View Post
I have had this happen occasionally as well. It only takes a tiny piece of thread to cause problems.
I just don't think fast enough to check that area first. It's a pain. This time I put a note on the outside of the machine to check that area if eyelashes occur.

Serita
Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM

I read some where that you can use an index card to clean dust or thread without touching the screw (hate to touch the bobbin tension). It will slip in the slot area. I also use canned air in the bobbin case. Hope this helps!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilter711 View Post
I read some where that you can use an index card to clean dust or thread without touching the screw (hate to touch the bobbin tension). It will slip in the slot area. I also use canned air in the bobbin case. Hope this helps!
I'm the same way, I hate to touch the bobbin tension and usually don't have to. But that thread was really down in there and I couldn't get to it.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM

Those little, tiny snips of thread have played havoc with my machine more than once. I've learned all the places to look.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 AM

I can so relate to this problem too. I am glad to learn how to fix it. Thank you!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
I can so relate to this problem too. I am glad to learn how to fix it. Thank you!!
You know, it is not the kind of thing that happens regularly so I don't remember to try that area. I do check for cleanliness in the bobbin area in general but not between those tension prongs. Now I have a tacky looking note on the outside of the machine to help remind me to check there.

Serita
Old 12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I have never had that problem. I hope I don't .
Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 AM

I check that little flap and slide a corner of a piece of paper in there each time I put in a new bobbin.....along with cleaning out the bobbin case......I use primarily cotton/poly threads in both DM and L/A machines...so this has become a second nature move.... Saves lots of frog stitches........