99k Bobbin Issue

Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 AM

Default 99k Bobbin Issue

Ok, if this is a dumb question, please be gentle!

I got my 99k all cleaned up, oiled, and it seemed to be running like a champ. Well, to impress my husband with my handy work, I whip out a piece of denim to show him how beautifully this machine runs after a good clean. Of course, in my cockiness, it won't sew!
Upon further inspection, the bobbin is not working. It won't pull up with the needle, and even if manually pulled up through, will not do anything. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? If so, how do I fix this?

When I get home, I can post pics to help clarify things if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Needle in correctly?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-23-2014, 06:41 AM

That was my first thought also. The needle is set flat side to the right.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Oh, I'll have to check on that...I didn't see that in the manual. If that's not my problem, I'll post back. However, is the bobbin supposed to be moving at all when running the machine, or will the threaded thread, turn it while it pulls it when it's stitching? I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM

The bobbin only moves when the thread is pulled. Did you thread the bobbin correctly? Worst case would be the timing is off. Others more knowledgeable than me can probably help you with that issue.
Rodney
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM

Singer 99s: Needle goes in flat to the right, is threaded left to right.
Bobbin is placed in the bobbin case so as you pull the thread it rotates counter clock wise.

Joe
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Ok, I had the needle in correctly. Re-threaded the machine, got the bobbin all set, and threaded through the two slits as shown in the manual, and still .... nothing. My husband of course, is still having a field day with this because of my gloating yesterday. I NEED to get this fixed! I can't let him "win", LOL.

Here are some pics, how I threaded the bobbin, and pics of the bobbin itself. Maybe when I took things apart to clean it (it was literally clogged with material), I broke something, or didn't put something back in correctly. The spring thing that faces the front had a wad of fabric completely entwined in it (had to remove it to get all the material out). Is that my problem? Not sure what that spring does, maybe I messed something up with that? Whatever help you can offer, as always, is greatly appreciated!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458249[/ATTACH]
Front of bobbin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458250[/ATTACH]
Sideview

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458252[/ATTACH]
From the backside

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458253[/ATTACH]
Starting to thread (pic is sideways; the thread is held out to the left), just about to round the first "slot"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458254[/ATTACH]
Through first "slot", going to round the second one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458255[/ATTACH]
Finished threading, ready to put cover on.
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-front.jpg   bobbin-side.jpg   bobbin-backside.jpg   bobbin-thread-1.jpg   bobbin-thread-2.jpg  

bobbin-thread-3.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM

I am working on a 99 also. I will be watching this thread. I should be getting some bobbins soon from dealer so I can try to sew on it.

This is the first one I have worked on with a drop in bobbin.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
.... The spring thing that faces the front had a wad of fabric completely entwined in it (had to remove it to get all the material out). Is that my problem? Not sure what that spring does....
That spring holds a felt “wiper” that sticks out against the race. You keep the felt wet with sewing machine oil to lightly lubricate the race. That spring screws out like a bolt, then a piece of felt is twisted into the spring, and then the spring is screwed back into the bracket.

If you had the hook shaft out while cleaning, it’s probably out of time. With a needle in and the needle and slide plates off, turn the hand wheel to see where the hook is when the needle has been down and is beginning the trip back up. If the hook isn’t at the needle, it’s out of time.

If you didn’t remove the hook shaft, I’d thread both top and bottom again one more time, and leave the slide plate off to see what the thread is doing when your hook goes around to catch it. You may need to leave the needle plate off too to see things.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Well, I'm super embarrassed to admit this, but this felt "wiper", was removed! I thought it was clogged fabric! I feel so stupid right now.

So, now that I went through the agony of removing that felt, did I wreck something? Will I need to stuff something else in there?

I do think it's out of time. Are you able to tell me how to get the machine back in time?

I think I'm going to go crawl under a table for awhile. Ugh....that's what I get for jumping right into things