99k Bobbin Issue

Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM

Always make sure you're right before bragging...
Look at the bright side. Your husband will probably let you keep collecting just for the entertainment value.

The first and last pictures you showed are correct for threading the bobbin.
Sorry I haven't had to try to time one yet. I'm of no use to you. I'll be watching this thread. If it is a timing issue I would like to know how too. I have a 99 waiting for me to get to it yet.
Rodney
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM

remove needle plate and bobbin slide cover, lower threaded needle to its lowest point. Take another picture and post it. Also at its lowest point take a pic of where the take up lever is in relation to tje top of its slot, and tell the good floks here whether it was moving up or down at that point if its not at the top of its travel. They'll have ya in stitches in no time!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 PM

I saw a good explanation of how to replace the red felt (apparently called a race wick - who knew?). It's for a Singer 66, which is very similar to the 99. Hope this helps:
http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...k-on-66-1.html
Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Rodney, when it comes to bragging about fixing something to my husband, I can't help myself. He's always the handy one, so when I can capitalize on an opportunity, I take it. Although it does (rarely, of course) *ahem....backfire. No need to admit that to him though, I'll just chalk it up to having an abnormal machine.
I'm sure he is enjoying my frustrations though. I would be if I were him.

Champanier, that's a great and informative tutorial...thanks for posting it! Once I get this thing running properly, I'll work on this!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Alright, here are the pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458302[/ATTACH]
Ugh...sideways again, but here is the front view

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458303[/ATTACH]
pic from the back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458304[/ATTACH]
Pic of the take up lever while needle is all the way down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458305[/ATTACH]
Another view of take up lever while needle is down.

When I have the needle in its lowest position, the take up level is still going down. The needle then proceeds to move upward, while the level bar continues to go down.
Attached Thumbnails needle-down-front.jpg   needle-down-side.jpg   needle-down-front-view.jpg   needle-down-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Rach,

Can you see the loop form that should lasso the pointed hook? Is the loop not forming, too high, or too low ? When a machine won't sew its always a good idea to turn by hand and watch with flashlight what goes wrong with the stitch and take it from there. Needle change is first step I should mention.

Jon
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 PM

Yes, it is forming a loop. There is just nothing there for it to grab. It doesn't appear to be happening too high or too low. Then again, I'm far from an expert. It appears to be happening correctly for me.

I manually fed the bobbin thread up through the needle plate, which would happen if the loop properly grabbed the thread. This too did not result in any stitches.

I did change the needle, that didn't do anything.

Is there a way to post a video on here? I'd be willing to take one of what's happening, if it would help. Maybe I'm explaining things incorrectly or am missing something?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM

You can make a youtube video and post a link. See if this pic and manual helps out.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...g-machine.html

http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/66.pdf

Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-23-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 AM

Jlhmnj, I cannot thank you enough! The diagrams walked me step by step through the process, and I have my machine up and running now!

After testing a few swatches of fabric however, the machine occasionally gets stuck. It's like it's hitting something hard, but when I turn the hand wheel, the needle is not hitting anything. I'm not sure if the thread is getting stuck around the bobbin, or if there's just a few quirks that will work themselves out once the machine gets a good few runs? Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 AM

Re oil especially bobbin area using manual. Try running w/o thread and see if stoppage reoccurs. I'd put the 99 on time out for bad behavior.

Jon