View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Pearlie is one of two outside, barn, used-to-be-feral cats here at the cottage. She has a white ring around her neck which reminded me of a necklace, hence her name - Pearl. She introduced herself to me during my first year at the cottage by literally coming to the storm door, standing on her hind legs, and asking for food....she was pregnant. How could I, as a former birth worker fail to respond; I put down some tuna and promptly went to the store for cat food!!

Ascot is the male, a bit older than Pearl and perhaps her sire. He is mostly black with a white throat and chest, so, of course, he had to be Ascot. When he sits on the porch looking out over the pastures, he's very regal looking, too, and reminded me of an Englishman in a smoking jacket. Ascot's much more willing to be petted than Pearlie, talks to me when I'm outside, but, poor dear he's rather dumb. Pearl is MUCH smarter and even appears to 'reason". She is also the hunter of the pair and still, even though neutered, a coquette with Ascot!

They live mostly on my front porch on a table I've pushed to a corner and where they each have a cushy cat bed and their food dishes and can watch the world go by out of the direct sun and rain.

Through my recovery from the torn achilles tendon (l-o-n-g 9-10 week process) they have been distressed by dealing with having the neighbor feed them (somewhat erratic schedule), the building of the handicap ramp along the front edge of the porch (their space disrupted by hammering, sawing, and a strange man working), and the completely odd and intimidating Mommy and her walker clomping up and down the ramp when I could finally walk a tiny bit.

They hesitated when Mother drives up with me in the car, and then ran off to the well house when I begin to use the walker; and now that I’m on just a cane, they still do this. Makes me sad...months ago they used to come running to the car to meet me when I came home. I miss the silly buggers!

Now that we have new neighbors (May 1), their patterns have changed a bit; they have gotten jaded and no longer always greet us sweetly but act as though our coming and going is "so commonplace"! They've forgotten to be grateful for the "sweet life" they now live in comfort rather than their past - hiding in the barn; fending off coyotes, possums, and ground hogs; eating what they could scrounge; reproducing constantly.

Fickle friends, but no less adored!

Jan in VA

Pearlie snoozing on the well house steps.
Attached Thumbnails pearl-wellhouse-steps.jpg