Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your zoo!!!

Show me your zoo!!!

I see lots of avatars with animals ... and I have three ... so let's start a thread with show me your zoo ... with a bit of info!

Echo - My African Grey is 13 years old. I got her when she was 4.5 months old from a breeder. She's a nut, but I love her and her quirks. She has about 50 words in her vocabulary, sings a couple of songs, and helps me cheer on my hockey team. I have taught her to scream out GO SENS GO whenever the sens score a goal (I of course have to cue her - which is usually by me jumping out of my chair screaming YES, YES, YES!) I have also taught her to say HABS SUCK (for all those Montreal fans LOL) whenever ANY team scores a goal (her cue is when I say BOO BOO BOO).

Raylan - my Siamese / Himalyan mix that I adopted about 2 months ago. He's special ... an absolute cuddle bum of a cat, not demanding or obnoxious with people at all ... loves EVERYONE ... except the dog! Poor Kyleigh! He's afraid of my grey (with good reason LOL ... as Echo has full flight and is NOT afraid of cat or dog!) We are making huge strides in getting him to accept Kyleigh - he used to look at her and hiss and then try and swat her ... The first time he did that Ky barked and lunged at him (can't say I blame her LOL) ... thankfully, my dog is trained and listens. The second time I caught him sneaking up on Kyleigh while she was sleeping ... a couple of squirts with the water bottle cured him of that idea! Now they can walk side by side and Raylan doesn't hiss at her anymore ... so progress is slow, but being made!

Kyleigh - my long-haired German Shepherd Dog. Kyleigh is the dog I have dreamed of having since I was 16 years old (I'm now 43). I did huge amounts of research on the breed, even became a certified dog trainer, and trained for about 5 years before I got Kyleigh. I wanted to make sure I understood dogs, dog behaviour, etc. before I brought a working line, high drive, high focus dog into my life.

I had her brought over from Germany when she was 9 weeks. I did MAJOR research on breeders, and what type of working line dog I wanted, and I got it!!!! There were definitely times I was in over my head! Oh My what a lot of dog!!!! But she's now 3.5 years old and an absolutely wonderful dog to have in my life - her enthusiasm for life keeps me young, active and in shape! There's no saying no to Kyleigh when it's time to go out and play and have long walks in the woods, and working on all of her commands!!!!

The ONLY issue with Kyleigh is she sees Echo as lunch in a box ... so, no close interactions with the bird and the dog ... which upsets Echo, because she adored my last dog, Abby, and they had such a fabulous relationship! Because of Echo's lack of fear, I can never let her that close to Kyleigh because he'd be food!

Here's some pics of my zoo
    Attached Images Attached Images

What amazing and beautiful animals. Love the last picture, that should be enlarged and framed in your home.

I love animals, so really enjoy animal stories! Thanks for sharing. My husband won't let me have any inside animals, but I have a lot of outside ones. Many of them are not afraid of me. There are at least 3 squirrels that stop by daily, and at least a dozen bluejays, as well as a cardinal pair and chickadees. I have a bunny (outside!). Her name is Meaty and she comes up to the porch for her snack when I call her. My avatar shows my granddogs, Toby and Snickers. They're Jack Russells and they live in Colorado. They love their grandma! They "took" to me immediately. I think animals can sense a kindred spirit.

My husband did say if he ever had a dog it would be a german shepherd. They're really cool dogs. My niece has 7 of them!
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by sweet View Post
    What amazing and beautiful animals. Love the last picture, that should be enlarged and framed in your home.

It is!!!! It's 11x17 and one of my absolute favourite pics! I'm so not a fan of getting my picture taken, and when my friend emailed this to me I was stunned!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    My husband did say if he ever had a dog it would be a german shepherd. They're really cool dogs. My niece has 7 of them!
    They are awesome! But beware - they are FREAKING SMART!!!!! Kyleigh never ceases to amaze me with her intelligence!

Here are are pics of my canine and feline crew.

Here are 3 of my 4 cats. Two ragdoll cats and a moggie. The little one front and center is full grown, not a kitten. She was a foundling and most likely had a very rough start in life so she never got very big.
    Name:  lil sis 001.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  1.44 MB

Here are my canines. They are Shiloh Shepherds which was founded on the GSD. They are not yet an AKC recognized breed but considered a rare breed. Keuka, my 3 YO female is on the left, Inigo the puppy is on the right. He just turned 1 in September and is still very much a puppy as the breed is not considered fully mature until 3.
    Name:  Inigo at 1 year and Keuka at 3 years.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  127.0 KB

Thanks Marion for starting this thread. Your GSD is gorgeous as is the rest of your crew.

What a fun thread. I love looking at picture of folks pets.

My pets,

Wolfgang my six year old chocolate tan dapple dachshund. He's a big boy who likes to play.

Name:  wolfie.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  15.1 KB

My Taffy, my 9 yo girl bengal, litter mate to Merlin below. She's snuggled on a quilt in this picture. So cute.

Name:  taffycat.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  32.4 KB

Merlin, my 9 yo boy bengal. Littermate, brother to Taffy. He is in charge at the house. This is an old picture taken when he was a kitten, but he's still just as handsome.

Name:  merlin222.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  34.5 KB
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

I live now in an apt and pets are not allowed. When one is disable and alone in this world, it is hard to maintain the health of a pet. I miss my Westie named Macbeth. He was the best pet I ever had but turn your back and he would find something to entertain himself NOT for the lack of any toys !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Love all the pics ... have to say my heart pumped twice when I saw the Shiloh's ... they are stunning dogs!!!!!! Are they super smart too??

We have to find other parrot people on here LOL ... I know feather3 had a macaw ... we can't be the only crazy bird people!!!!

Oh that westie LOL ... what a fun time he had ... I'm sorry you can't have any pets where you live ... that would be very hard. I'll be sure to encourage people to post lots of funny pics and stories so you can live vicariously through us!!!

Keuka, like your Kyleigh is scary smart. Luckily for me, she uses her supersmarts for good and not evil. LOL Inigo is smart but does not appear to be as clever as Keuka and he definitely is not as focused - SQUIRREL!. It takes him a little longer to learn things. But once he learns he remembers. He has not yet entered his rebellious stage (known as the terrible twos in Shiloh circles) which usually ramps up between 12 and 18 months and subsides at 24 months. I am hoping he won't go through it like Keuka did.

Oh those terrible two's! Ky hit hers at 8 months and I was ready to trade her in for a hamster many many times. I remember one time when I was cleaning Echo's cage. I had tied Kyleigh's leash to the table leg so she couldn't run around and wreak havoc on everything. I put all of Echo's food bowls (the big hard ceramic kind) on a towel on the table to dry. I turned my back to start attaching all of Echo's toys back to her cage and heard this loud CRASH (then Echo said a bad word and laughed) ... I turned around and Kyleigh had pulled the towel off the table and all Echo's food bowls were smashed to smithereens.

I think I counted to 1000 before I went near her!!!

I have a soft spot for Shepards. I used to have a German Shepard/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. He looked like a 100% shepard, but had a ridge down his back. He was SO beautiful and SMART :-) Black too. Anyway, now I have 2 whippets who are so sweet and each is crazy in her own way. I just love dogs...

Blog Entries
    I have a kitty, a Russian Blue, name Zoey, I've had lots of cats, and like dogs, all their own musy personalities. but this Zoeyis 4 yrs old, and the smartest cat I've ever had. She has quite the vocabulary too. Understands all commands and other words too. Has established her own as well. has me and her daddy wrapped around her fingers too. Demand that I go to bed when she wants me too, and if I don't she'll carry on until I do. sometimes I go in just to shut her up. then I come out, and she's ok. but she's a good nursemaid also.
    pets are great and so funny too.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I have Abbie a very spoilt Quaker parrot. She is a lot of fun but definately has her good days and her naughty days. When we had to put our dog to sleep, my DH didn't want another dog, but I missed having a pet in the house so we got a bird. She is a good talker and if you tell her she is naughty she replies "Abbie good girl"

Name:  abbie.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  176.0 KB
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

OMG I used to have a quaker Ellie ... she looked just like yours ... yes, they can be quite the big bird in such a small package!

Here one of my favourite pics of Ellie taking a bath!

I lost my 14 yr old baby Monday morning. He went Friday a.m. for cleaning his teeth and never work up from the anesthetic. We visited the clinic, talked, petted, and watched him decline without ever waking. You can't believe how our hearts ached when we made the decision to let him cross the Rainbow bridge. Our house is not the same and we're still grieving our loss. I would give anything for some more time with him--we loved him so much.Name:  brady n mouse.JPG
Views: 682
Size:  182.4 KB

Oh Mermaid, I'm so sorry ... I've lost pets before and it is heart wrenching ... my sister had to put her 17 year old cat down last night ... it's a horrible horrible feeling ... sending you hugs because there are no words to ease your pain.

Sorry for your loss; I certainly understand how you feel as I lost one in March. She had liver cancer and had had a clear "physical" the past November. I didn't even suspect that she was that ill....she was older (16) but had been in good health until all this. She started getting really "clingy" and was gone in just a few days.
    She did leave her two poodle brothers, though....one is a tiny (7lbs.) silver poodle, (Jakie) AKC registered, and the other is a poodle mix (17 pounds) that we rescued (DJ). My kids swear that DJ is my husband reincarnated; he has to know exactly where I'm at and what I'm doing; if I'm quilting, he's in the studio, if I'm cooking (rare!!) he's in the kitchen; if I'm sleeping, they're BOTH in the bed with me. DJ has the UPS guy convinced he weighs 500 pounds and is bullet-proof because the driver will NOT come up on my front steps if he spots him...the Fed Ex guy is apparently more his style because he will go out on the porch to greet him....but he won't let him in the house either! Every time I tell the kids about his latest antic, they all say, "Told you Daddy's got him watching out for you!" He also wakes me up in the morning by sitting on my chest and softly "woofing"...to start. If I don't obey promptly, things go South in a hurry.
    They're both 12, loves of my life and I don't know what I'll do when the inevitable happens. Been threatening to get a wolf hybrid but might get one that would be a little easier to handle. We'll see......after seeing these German Shepherds on here, who knows!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    Oh Mermaid, I'm so sorry ... I've lost pets before and it is heart wrenching ... my sister had to put her 17 year old cat down last night ... it's a horrible horrible feeling ... sending you hugs because there are no words to ease your pain.
    Thank you. Tell your sister to just know how I hurt for her. I have cried until I'm embarrassed to be seen with these puffy eyes. But it is always just a little thing that brings another memory. We took a healthy, happy loving kitty to his tragic death. It's hard to get over that.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Pearlie is one of two outside, barn, used-to-be-feral cats here at the cottage. She has a white ring around her neck which reminded me of a necklace, hence her name - Pearl. She introduced herself to me during my first year at the cottage by literally coming to the storm door, standing on her hind legs, and asking for food....she was pregnant. How could I, as a former birth worker fail to respond; I put down some tuna and promptly went to the store for cat food!!

Ascot is the male, a bit older than Pearl and perhaps her sire. He is mostly black with a white throat and chest, so, of course, he had to be Ascot. When he sits on the porch looking out over the pastures, he's very regal looking, too, and reminded me of an Englishman in a smoking jacket. Ascot's much more willing to be petted than Pearlie, talks to me when I'm outside, but, poor dear he's rather dumb. Pearl is MUCH smarter and even appears to 'reason". She is also the hunter of the pair and still, even though neutered, a coquette with Ascot!

They live mostly on my front porch on a table I've pushed to a corner and where they each have a cushy cat bed and their food dishes and can watch the world go by out of the direct sun and rain.

Through my recovery from the torn achilles tendon (l-o-n-g 9-10 week process) they have been distressed by dealing with having the neighbor feed them (somewhat erratic schedule), the building of the handicap ramp along the front edge of the porch (their space disrupted by hammering, sawing, and a strange man working), and the completely odd and intimidating Mommy and her walker clomping up and down the ramp when I could finally walk a tiny bit.

They hesitated when Mother drives up with me in the car, and then ran off to the well house when I begin to use the walker; and now that I’m on just a cane, they still do this. Makes me sad...months ago they used to come running to the car to meet me when I came home. I miss the silly buggers!

Now that we have new neighbors (May 1), their patterns have changed a bit; they have gotten jaded and no longer always greet us sweetly but act as though our coming and going is "so commonplace"! They've forgotten to be grateful for the "sweet life" they now live in comfort rather than their past - hiding in the barn; fending off coyotes, possums, and ground hogs; eating what they could scrounge; reproducing constantly.

Fickle friends, but no less adored!

Jan in VA

Pearlie snoozing on the well house steps.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    OMG I used to have a quaker Ellie ... she looked just like yours ... yes, they can be quite the big bird in such a small package!

Here one of my favourite pics of Ellie taking a bath!
    When they want a bath they really want a bath LOL. Yes they are a big bird in a little package
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    You can see Miss Bess, she is my wonder dog, avatar and constant (almost always) companion. Bess is going to be 12 years old. She is getting white around her face and tail. She needs "Out" at 2:00 AM and then I can't get back to sleep. A few months ago I got two seven week old parakeets - one is yellow and black - BiBi - (Big Bird) male and Bitz is a grey/blue female - they are very sweet. When Christmas is over and I have a little more time I am going to work with them and get them hand trained. I can You Tube parakeet sounds and they love that. I am also thinking of getting two finches - All critters are B names - our first dog was Bridget, now Bess, BiBi and Bitz and I have already named the finches (I think I will get them after the tree comes down and they will go in my sewing area). They will be Biddy for the female and Bubba for the male. I am getting excited about this. Have learned that parakeets spit seeds. Read that they liked hard boiled eggs crushed with the shell (protein) - they don't like it. The pet store said they love thawed frozen vegetables - they don't like it. They also said apples, oranges, grapes. They don't like it. So it is their seed, they peel the bark off the manzanita branches, they like that - scraping on the cuttlebone - they like that. Lettuce? - They don't like that - crying out loud, I have gourmet parakeets!!!!!! But they are happy! For sure!!!!

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I am so happy to see this thread. Love all the pictures and story behind each pet. They are all beautiful.
    My Alexis (Silky Yorkie) does not like to have her picture taken, but I try. Like all the other fur friends she is very smart. Please keep this thread going, I know there are more to see.[ATTACH=CONFIG]502212Name:  2014-01-05 003.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  1.47 MB[/ATTACH] The second picture she is watching the bears at the Wildlife Center of Virginia. She loved her bears.

Doris

Love reading this thread! I was always a cat person, but none of my cats liked my husband and one in particular would deposit atrocious, smelly presents by his boots daily. Patient man that he is, he put up with this for quite a while before declaring the house as a "No Cat Zone," but that I could have dogs. While I envisioned a big dog lounging lovingly at my feet, Hubby was convinced that puppy love should come in small packages. He got me a Shih Tzu that I named Dante. He is our clown and is very expressive and exuberant. After we had Dante a couple of years, Hubby wanted to add a girl to our family, and we got Daphne, also a Shih Tzu. She is very reserved, and plays straight man to all of Dante's antics.

Then one of our son's friends came to live with us and when he moved out, gifted us with a Great Dane named Lacy. She was very fearful and distrustful when she came to us, and I spent months gaining her trust. She protects me from birds, cats, the Shih Tzus, and barking dogs on the TV! Despite her size, she is not the Alpha - Daphne puts her in her place regularly! Love my furry friends!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  731.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  915.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  127.7 KB

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry for everyone loss. I know the pain and loss. I had two cats (Shayla, 17 yrs old, Nutmeg 16 yrs old and had to have put to sleep last year, 6 months apart. I still have not gotten over it. You love them unconditionally.

Doris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast