Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your zoo!!!

I just LOVE seeing all these pictures of the gorgeous animals! (Animals are my first passion in life - quilting and reading are a very very close tie - I can't quilt in bed, so quilting would be the third!)

I'll post on this regularly so that it stays near the top!

It's so hard to lose a pet, they become so engrained in your daily schedule, that the house is just empty without them. (One of the reasons I have a different animals - and my Grey should easily live another 30-40 years - it'll just be her and I as they trot me off to the old folks home!)

I'm on a german shepherd forum, and a bunch of us do Christmas card swaps - the card has to be a pic of your dog with something around it as a Christmas theme ... I took a bunch of pics, and sent them to my friend to photoshop the christmas theme around ... here's two of them! The antlers and collar are real .. but obviously not the background ... Can you guess which one I used?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mermaid, I am so sorry for your loss. You MUST not blame yourself for this. Your vet should not have recommended any anesthesia for a senior like that. This is entirely on your vet who should have known better. 3 of my 4 are all seniors now. All millennium babes (born in 2000). One had seizure the last time we had to put him under for removal of a benign tumor 3 years ago but luckily he pulled through ok. The vet cautioned about any anesthesia from then on out. He now has another one and I am dreading that we may have to remove it surgically. At this age you often wonder which is the lesser of two evils.

Blog Entries
    I love your pictures. I had my own zoo up until a few years ago when my aging dogs and cats began their trip to the Bridge. Now I just have my Merlyn who is my avatar.

We raised German Shepard's for many years and they remain one of my favorite breeds. We lost Mikayla our GSD 8 years ago. P.S. Don't tell my Borzoi Merlyn that GSD are a favorite since I love Borzoi as well. :-)

Oh my some beautiful pets and nice stories thanks for sharing them. My Zoo is currently reduced to Gambit an 8. 5 year old wire hair fox terrier mix and Emma a 9 year old dachshund chihuahua mix. They actually belong to my girls they couldn't take them when they went away to school and they should not be purposefully separated Gambit would be lost without Emma. We adopted them 8 years ago after we lost our Australian Shepherd. He was an amazing pet perfect for our family and I still miss him. . Me I was ok not having more dogs. Mr. Bill felt like the kids still needed them. Over the years we have had pet rats, chinchillas, ducks, red eared sliders, koi, frogs, toads, lizards and cats my oldest can't have cats or dogs where she lives so she has 3 snakes and a hedgehog. . My youngest still away at school lives off campus 2years ago took her horse and cat with her, also has a hedgehog. . Things are going to get interesting when she comes home.
    Last edited by Billi; 12-12-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Forgot some critters
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

No pictures, don't know how to down load those but we do have 4 dogs. A long haired Chihuahua, two mal-shis one looks just like a Shi-Tzu the other exactly like a Maltese, and a very energetic, brilliant Yorkie. What fun we have. Had to replace the adult children, one way or another. They keep us going in our old age. They are willed to children just in case.
    A very Merry Christmas to pet lovers everywhere.
    All my grand-children have paws.

What a great story. Thanks for that. It was fun to read. I didn't know there was such a breed as a long-haired German Shepard. What a great looking dog. There's little more enjoyable in the domestic animal world than a beautiful, polite and well-trained dog. Good for you for giving her the gift of training as she's now part of the community. The photo is great. I agree...it is suitable for framing.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries

Red face Gussi the Diva

*** Hope this uploads.
    *** Tuxedo - abandoned on my street when only fist size.
    *** We have been together 11 l/2 years now.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Mermaid, so very sorry. It is so hard, loosing a member of the family. We have an almost 19 siamese and had to have h er mate put down over a year ago at 17. Raise dogs and have lost dogs and pup sometimes too and I cry every time, no grand kids within 1500 miles so animals fill up my heart, Love every one of them. Have Golden pups due the 11 Feb. and 5 Rat Terrier babies here now, one goes today.Name:  PB220084.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  114.4 KB
    They keep me busy and take up what little quilting space I have, but love them and enjoy the baby part.

I am down to 1 kitty now as just had to put my male tuxedo down in May as he had the cat's version of AIDS. Never knew they could get it but he did some how. Since then I started collecting photos of my past pets/buddies and made up a family portrait (family tree) and placed it in the dining room for all to see. Here are some of those I've loved and lost.....

1st is Charlie, I found him all torn up and beaten on the side of the road. He had part of his bottom jaw missing when I found him.

Next came Mitzi, I found her in the newspaper. Seems she didn't get along with the new puppy so they were getting rid of her or else put her down. Her and Charlie got along great to the point that when she died, Charlie had a broken heart and died a couple months later.

Next came the Boys as I called them. A mixed Scotty/Corgi I found at the pound, 13 years old then, my little man as he just loved to be petted and never made a fuss. My shepherd I found in the newspaper, 150 pound baby. He was obedience trained and my protector. I traveled with both my boys from Florida to Nebraska to visit my family. They got to see snow for the 1st time one Fall and loved it. The next summer I had to put them both down. The little guy was 19 and the big guy was 13. I've never replaced them ever.

Next came Miss Boo Baby, my Himalayan I got from a case I worked with the police dept. She came just a couple months before I had to put the boys down. She died a tragic death from 2 dogs that got loose in the neighborhood. She was my lap baby and loved to ride in the car as her and Skooter went with me when I visited my beau.

Next came Skooter a peach faced parrot with a twisted body and beak. He was such a treat to care for. He couldn't walk or hold on to much but he could fly. He would meet me in the PC room when I came home every morning and opened his cage. He would sit on my lap for hours and then I'd put him in his cage outside to enjoy the other birds.

My neighbor left his cat behind, Stella. Boy doesn't she have a mean look on her face but she moved up to Iowa with me from Florida.

Then came Pepper, she came from the pound in Iowa, left on the road at 9 months old. She is still with me today and now my lap kitty.

Loved Pepper so much that I got her a buddy from the Vet, Max, a Hemingway kitty with extra toes. He's the one that acquired AIDS and had to be put down. Its contagious and after having Pepper checked for it and came out negative, I had to protect her. Max by that time was in pain and failing fast.

Last by not least a photo of a kitty my beau at the time found on the side of the highway in Florida just after Miss Boo Baby died. And of course her name is Highway. Just 6-7 weeks old at the time and now 9 years old and 15 pounds. Runs the roost at his place of 10 acres. Here is a photo of her and Skooter. Skooter is not afraid of anything as you can see from the pic. She's just about ready to bite Highway's toes. Highway had been attacking her playfully every morning and she decided to turn the tables on her.

My photos may be out of order of the summary but I'm sure you get the jest of it.

Pets have a way to bring love into your family and leave a mark on your heart. I loved all my pets and remember them fondly every time I walk by my Family Album.

Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
    It is!!!! It's 11x17 and one of my absolute favourite pics! I'm so not a fan of getting my picture taken, and when my friend emailed this to me I was stunned!!!!
    Awesome!!!!!

Blog Entries
    My fur kids in order of age -
    1. Miss kitty is our youngest fur kid, a little tiny former feral tabby kitten we adopted through a local rescue. She is a little thing, but keeps the others on their toes by sneaking up and whacking the others and running like crazy to get under something before they catch her. She is devoted to DH and will not sleep anywhere but on 'dad' at night. Her favorite activity...playing "zippy cat"
    2. Greda is a stubby blue austrailian cattle dog (Blue Heeler) who was taken from an abusive SOB, who so terrorized her that it took me weeks to walk normally near us instead of belly crawling in terror. She will be a treasured friend for life to make sure she remembers that humans can be a good thing. She is the most gentle soul I have ever dealt with. Too bad she had to have such a horrible start in life. Anything that even sound violent can set her to shaking, so we have to be careful what DH watches on TV, because of Greda.
    3. The biggest fur kid. Yukon King. He was taken into foster care after his previous owner broke his nose in front of a deputy sheriff, owner went to jail and that is when King and I met. The vet says he is German Shepard, Malamute, Husky, and at least a little wolf since her has white teeth. (Full blood dogs have yellow teeth.) after adopting him, he earned his keep but alerting me to impending seizures. He is ten this year, and bothered by arthritis and a back injury from falling out of our van and landing on his tail. ( He ' missed' while jumping in) King is my first dog and now I can't imagine life without him.
    4. Our oldest fur kid is Bruno, my Norwegian Forest cat. I have had Bruno since he was five weeks old since that was his age when he was surrendered for euthanasia because he is a black cat born on 9/11/2001, and the breeder was 'afraid someone would hurt him if they knew when he was born'. He is getting old now, his whiskers are turning white, and his armpits have gone gray. When he was five months old he was sleeping in a sunny window in Texas, and stretched and rolled over and fell out of the window hitting a table edge with his back as he fell. After three days unable to walk, he recovered, but has a ruptured disk in his back, so no one picks up Bruno or he will bite because it hurts. I have to say that I am owned by Bruno. If he wants something, he will walk up into whatever I am doing and start poking me in the arm until I pay attention to the cat. He will take me to whatever in his world is not perfect, such as hair floating in his water dish, or his food dish is no longer heaped and therefore even though he has at least two more cups of food to eat, he feels he is in danger of starving. Lol! Enjoy the pictures of our fur kids doing what comes naturally.

If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    such beautiful pictures of the fur babies. I love my Russian Ble kitty Zoey so very much.
    she is the princess of the house, and of course, the house revolves around her.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Nibbs is my avatar. She is a Russian Blue diminished. In other words, a mutt. But she rules the house and is a clown much of the time. Russina blues have such a personality!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I lost my 14 yr old baby Monday morning. He went Friday a.m. for cleaning his teeth and never work up from the anesthetic. We visited the clinic, talked, petted, and watched him decline without ever waking. You can't believe how our hearts ached when we made the decision to let him cross the Rainbow bridge. Our house is not the same and we're still grieving our loss. I would give anything for some more time with him--we loved him so much.Attachment 502174
    Here are some words that I so totally believe and know. This was written by Martin Luther:

"Be thou comforted, little dog. Thou, too, in Resurrection, shall have a little golden tail."

I believe that pertains to all our pets, dogs, cats, birds, you name it. So rest assured. And please to accept my sincere sympathies. Miss Bess is going to be 12 in a few more weeks and I just hug her a little more every day.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Mermaid, I am so sorry for your loss. You MUST not blame yourself for this. Your vet should not have recommended any anesthesia for a senior like that. This is entirely on your vet who should have known better. 3 of my 4 are all seniors now. All millennium babes (born in 2000). One had seizure the last time we had to put him under for removal of a benign tumor 3 years ago but luckily he pulled through ok. The vet cautioned about any anesthesia from then on out. He now has another one and I am dreading that we may have to remove it surgically. At this age you often wonder which is the lesser of two evils.
    My Bess is going to be 12 years old on January 3. She has had two surgeries for benign tumors on her body - prevalent with Labs, I guess and Bess is a German Short Hair Pointer/Black Lab. The only reason I had them removed is the one was under her armpit and the harness rubbed against it and the other was on her backside. The vet told me that these are fatty type tumors and there is no reason to remove them if they don't get in her way. So, she may have her lumps and bumps, but she's as healthy as a horse - and what I am most proud of is that there is no arthritis showing up. She can jump on the couch, run after a squirrel, jump on the bed, go up and down stairs. My little secret? In the wintertime when it is really cold outside, I have a thermal blanket on the couch. She gets a treat when she comes in and I then cover her up and under that thermal, it is so nice and cozy warm that those muscles and bones and stuff warm up really fast. The vet thought it was a darned good idea too. So, for what it is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    I see lots of avatars with animals ... and I have three ... so let's start a thread with show me your zoo ... with a bit of info!

Echo - My African Grey is 13 years old. I got her when she was 4.5 months old from a breeder. She's a nut, but I love her and her quirks. She has about 50 words in her vocabulary, sings a couple of songs, and helps me cheer on my hockey team. I have taught her to scream out GO SENS GO whenever the sens score a goal (I of course have to cue her - which is usually by me jumping out of my chair screaming YES, YES, YES!) I have also taught her to say HABS SUCK (for all those Montreal fans LOL) whenever ANY team scores a goal (her cue is when I say BOO BOO BOO).

Raylan - my Siamese / Himalyan mix that I adopted about 2 months ago. He's special ... an absolute cuddle bum of a cat, not demanding or obnoxious with people at all ... loves EVERYONE ... except the dog! Poor Kyleigh! He's afraid of my grey (with good reason LOL ... as Echo has full flight and is NOT afraid of cat or dog!) We are making huge strides in getting him to accept Kyleigh - he used to look at her and hiss and then try and swat her ... The first time he did that Ky barked and lunged at him (can't say I blame her LOL) ... thankfully, my dog is trained and listens. The second time I caught him sneaking up on Kyleigh while she was sleeping ... a couple of squirts with the water bottle cured him of that idea! Now they can walk side by side and Raylan doesn't hiss at her anymore ... so progress is slow, but being made!

Kyleigh - my long-haired German Shepherd Dog. Kyleigh is the dog I have dreamed of having since I was 16 years old (I'm now 43). I did huge amounts of research on the breed, even became a certified dog trainer, and trained for about 5 years before I got Kyleigh. I wanted to make sure I understood dogs, dog behaviour, etc. before I brought a working line, high drive, high focus dog into my life.

I had her brought over from Germany when she was 9 weeks. I did MAJOR research on breeders, and what type of working line dog I wanted, and I got it!!!! There were definitely times I was in over my head! Oh My what a lot of dog!!!! But she's now 3.5 years old and an absolutely wonderful dog to have in my life - her enthusiasm for life keeps me young, active and in shape! There's no saying no to Kyleigh when it's time to go out and play and have long walks in the woods, and working on all of her commands!!!!

The ONLY issue with Kyleigh is she sees Echo as lunch in a box ... so, no close interactions with the bird and the dog ... which upsets Echo, because she adored my last dog, Abby, and they had such a fabulous relationship! Because of Echo's lack of fear, I can never let her that close to Kyleigh because he'd be food!

Here's some pics of my zoo
    You animals are very much loved just like ours we have 3 cats outside and 3 house dogs inside and 1 Tiger Oscar fish. My daughter and husband also have 5 horses. I do not attend to the horses at all, I tell them all the time anything bigger than me and can take me where they want me to go I am not fooling with. I love them but just scared of them slightly.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Big animal lover here. Since we have been married we have had a chipmunk (rescued from a cat and later released when fully recovered), 1 cat, 7 Goldens and a lab/shepherd. Missed our last Golden pair so much that we finally took the plunge in July and got a pair of Golden puppies again. Forgot how much work they were LOL, but they sure are fun and keep us on our toes: puppy classes, personal trainer and constant reinforcement will hopefully yield two therapy dogs in a few years. Here are the first pair, with our son's dog on left, and our daughter's dog on the right. Three have gone over the rainbow bridge. The one on the right, is now almost 16 and still doing well, thank goodness.
    Name:  100_2281.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  1,018.8 KB

The second picture is of our latest pair: Finley and Declan, now almost 7 months old. Finley is smart as a whip and learns quickly, but doesn't always obey. Declan is slower to learn but consistent once he has it. Somedays they are star scholars, and other days, they seem to have lost their minds. Still puppies with attention spans of a millisecond, but we are working on distractions, ha, ha. Luckily they are extremely food motivated.

Name:  almost 7 months.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  1.09 MB

I have 5 basenjis but can only find pics of 4:
    These photos are of 3 of the girls being teased by 2 squirrels. A few yeears ago I actually saw the squirrel fall on the ground and the dogs were right there, but he made it to another tree. Love those squirrels, keep the dogs busy, out of mischief, for hours!

The photo of the dog with his head on the chair is Captain. He is actuallly sleeping which is why I took the photo. It's hard to catch them sleeping really sound, they always seem to have one ear listening to their surroundings.

One of the girls, Ibis, had a dental or something and since she was 13 at the time I took advantage of my vet's 'old dog pre-anesthesia workup.' It included an ultrasound and that revealed a tiny mass between her lungs. Over the course of the next month she had a biopsy, we were told it was cancer, not really operable because of where it was, and a type that does not respond to chemo. BUT, no one told her, or at least she wasn't listening. She looks like any 14 yr old dog now (that was back in July, 2013), but acts perfectly ok. She is the dog, that when I called to see how she was doing after the biopsy, the first thing said by the vet: "She sure has a lot of energy!" They did not even have her in a cage, she was in one of the runs they had in the kennel.
    She still has that energy. Years ago I had my Rosa, and then a year later got her, Ibis. They were fine for 2 years and then they hated each other. Around here if 2 dogs hate each other after normal reconditining things, I keep them separate. I feel that they didn't ask to have another move in, and unlike kids (who are told you don't have to like each other but you have to ACT like you do) I just keep the peace by keeping them separate.

Rosa got a Canadian champinship, Ibis had to get one too. Rosa got an Award of Merit at our national show, Ibis had to get one the next year. (a big deal each time)
    I think Ibis is determined to outlive any Rosa female DNA in the house, something she seems to hate as much as she hated the original Rosa. (Rosa has died)
    Captain is a Rosa son and he's fine with any girl as long as they smell him and tell him he's handsome.

I have to add one last photo of a sign that is in Australia. When I showed Ibis up in Canada, the judge told me she saw these signs all over "Please Don't Feed the Ibis" That would be Ibis' hell! (Ibis sire was in Austrailia)

I know I'm going on about one dog, but Ibis would have it no other way. 80% of the words about her, the rest about others.
    Her motto from the time she came to live here:
    "I'm the Ibis, gotta love me!"

The title of another post made me think of this:
    The girl I couldn't find a pic of is named Frieda
    Ibis's last litter, she was shipped down to Virginia and bred by a boy name Charlie Brown. The pups were born on Christmas! So natually the girl we kept was named "The Girl With the Naturally Curly Tail" call name Frieda! (from the Charle Brown Christmas show)

Last edited by RugosaB; 12-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

No Pics yet but we have acquired my sons puppy Twix in the vein of his Mom Snickers and our new Kitty Lilly as all my black and white kittens have been a type of Flower we had Daisy that had to be finally down to repeated Bladder problems and Iris that just recently went over the rainbow Bridge. now we have Lilly that is a hoot PaLying with Twix!

Here's my brood:

The first is Lizzy, our bearded dragon. Then there's our four dogs; Lilly (Cocker Spaniel), Butterball (King Cavalier Spaniel), Bitsy (a Jack Russell Terrier/Cocker Spaniel mix), and Gizmo (Boxer). Last, but not least are our four kitties; Becky (the black cat), Sushi (our camera shy tabby, playing with my yarn), Snowflake and Atticus (the white cat is Snowflake and the tabby is Atticus, pictured together).

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

WOW ... what awesome pics and great stories ... I'm so happy I started this thread ... it's wonderful to see how much joy and pleasure these amazing creatures give us (and of course the huge sorrow when they leave way too soon!)

I just came back from a 3-hour hike in the woods ... had to break a trail through a foot of snow ... Ky's still not tired and I'm ready to drop ...

WOW ... what awesome pics and great stories ... I'm so happy I started this thread ... it's wonderful to see how much joy and pleasure these amazing creatures give us (and of course the huge sorrow when they leave way too soon!)

I just came back from a 3-hour hike in the woods ... had to break a trail through a foot of snow ... Ky's still not tired and I'm ready to drop ...
    Seeing all the lovely dogs make me miss mine even more although it is now 4 years since I had to take the "decision"; the one that is so hard to take but is part of owning a pet.
    This is Thor who came to us from a dogs' home having been mistreated and left.Name:  P1008012.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  697.6 KB

Not sure how old he was the vet guessed at around 4 years. He then stayed in the home for 6 months because nobody wanted him. It was love at first sight. He was afraid of men but my DH is very patient and soon got on well with him. He didn't bark for almost a year then suddenly one day when somebody came to the door and knock he barked and then looked at me very frightened. I started teaching him to bark when somebody was at the door and stop on command. We had the most wonderful 8 1/2 years together. We will not have another dog - we are too old now; it would too selfish but I will never, ever forget all the wonderful hours I have spent walking, drying, feeding and sewing with him. He slept underneath my sewing table and even help me sew once, when I had gotten up to iron and suddenly the machine whirred behind me and he had gotten up and sat himself down on the foot pedal! That taught me to switch the machine off when ironing
    Thanks for letting me share my pet too
    MagaQuilt

Blog Entries
    I have 7 furry kids.

Last edited by bjeriann; 12-13-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: adding pictures

We have always had dogs in our 50 year marriage. I know now that our pets were for us, not for our two boys, although they did love them. Three dogs back, we had Honi. She was a Japanese Akita...such a beautiful lady. She was super smart and was at my feet almost constantly. She left us at the age of 12 and i said I could not go through another loss like that one.

Two years later, a friend convinced my husband to adopt a Lhaso Apso she knew about and Melvin took over our lives.
    He had been abused and took a while, but then learned to respond to anything we said. He just seem to understand everything and loved the car...went everywhere with us. His one problem was that he was allergic to EVERTHING.
    We had him at the vet what seemed like almost daily. Melvin lived a wonderful life til o12. We still miss him and it has been six years. Melvin is my avatar.

Our house was so lonely. Six months later, we started our quest for another pet, knowing we would never find another Melvin. We had heard that the military were having to give up their pets to shelters when they left for the Far East so we went to Killeen TX (Fort Hood) to find our next family member. I told hubby I would consider any breed including a mixed one, but NO full blooded Poodle (bad experience many years ago). Can you guess what Lucee is? She is a black large toy poodle. She is smart, loves everyone and is attached to hubby at the hip. They have a mutual admiration
    society going on! I love her dearly...can teach her anything as long as you reward her with treats. I would love to rescue another little dog, but hubby is a one dog at a time person.

Sorry this is so long...guess I was in a remembering mood.
    Peace by Piece
    Diane

Annie my German Shepherd and Cole my Cardigan Welsh Corgi crashed on the couch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast