View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM
RugosaB

I have 5 basenjis but can only find pics of 4:
These photos are of 3 of the girls being teased by 2 squirrels. A few yeears ago I actually saw the squirrel fall on the ground and the dogs were right there, but he made it to another tree. Love those squirrels, keep the dogs busy, out of mischief, for hours!

The photo of the dog with his head on the chair is Captain. He is actuallly sleeping which is why I took the photo. It's hard to catch them sleeping really sound, they always seem to have one ear listening to their surroundings.

One of the girls, Ibis, had a dental or something and since she was 13 at the time I took advantage of my vet's 'old dog pre-anesthesia workup.' It included an ultrasound and that revealed a tiny mass between her lungs. Over the course of the next month she had a biopsy, we were told it was cancer, not really operable because of where it was, and a type that does not respond to chemo. BUT, no one told her, or at least she wasn't listening. She looks like any 14 yr old dog now (that was back in July, 2013), but acts perfectly ok. She is the dog, that when I called to see how she was doing after the biopsy, the first thing said by the vet: "She sure has a lot of energy!" They did not even have her in a cage, she was in one of the runs they had in the kennel.
She still has that energy. Years ago I had my Rosa, and then a year later got her, Ibis. They were fine for 2 years and then they hated each other. Around here if 2 dogs hate each other after normal reconditining things, I keep them separate. I feel that they didn't ask to have another move in, and unlike kids (who are told you don't have to like each other but you have to ACT like you do) I just keep the peace by keeping them separate.

Rosa got a Canadian champinship, Ibis had to get one too. Rosa got an Award of Merit at our national show, Ibis had to get one the next year. (a big deal each time)
I think Ibis is determined to outlive any Rosa female DNA in the house, something she seems to hate as much as she hated the original Rosa. (Rosa has died)
Captain is a Rosa son and he's fine with any girl as long as they smell him and tell him he's handsome.

I have to add one last photo of a sign that is in Australia. When I showed Ibis up in Canada, the judge told me she saw these signs all over "Please Don't Feed the Ibis" That would be Ibis' hell! (Ibis sire was in Austrailia)

I know I'm going on about one dog, but Ibis would have it no other way. 80% of the words about her, the rest about others.
Her motto from the time she came to live here:
"I'm the Ibis, gotta love me!"

The title of another post made me think of this:
The girl I couldn't find a pic of is named Frieda
Ibis's last litter, she was shipped down to Virginia and bred by a boy name Charlie Brown. The pups were born on Christmas! So natually the girl we kept was named "The Girl With the Naturally Curly Tail" call name Frieda! (from the Charle Brown Christmas show)
Attached Thumbnails image15.jpg   image8.jpg   image12.jpg  

Last edited by RugosaB; 12-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.