Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
Ok...I had to do a double take. I guess what I thought was a thin white line was around the brown design. Maybe it's just the salmon color but my computer screen or my eyes just registered it as white.

Batiking is not that scary unless your not good around stoves? I did batiking back when I was in high school & I was self taught. I had some that were better than others & the good ones just come with practice. I still have some linoleum blocks that I finished carving but never printed -LOL. 49 blocks?? That would be a lot of carving & very time consuming to do as many as you need to do. I honestly think it would be worth a try to try batik but I will be interested in seeing your finished project no matter what method you decide to use. Neat design! :D :D
Well, there are 49 islands, but some islands are the same (like the fairy islands and the triangle isles), just in different locations in the block area. I'd have to check, but it may be possible that I can turn the block for one island 90 degrees and get the layout for another island. But there would still be at least 30 different island designs. I wish the screen printing supplies were cheaper. I think I'd like the results and I could possibly use screen printing in another project.

I think with the amount of work I need to do, the batik would probably be overly time consuming to do all those islands.

Originally Posted by Paulette
V - you can make your own photo transfer fabric....you'll need the specific chemical and just treat your fabric. It is extremely cost effective if you plan to use a lot of fabric. If you don't want to take that route, try just cutting out the shapes and appliqueing to the background fabric. I can see what you are trying to accomplish so hate to see you so frustrated that you set it aside and never go back to it. Dharma Trading might have the chemicals you need to make your own photo transfer fabric - I don't recall as have not been on that site in a while.

Another option instead of applique is to layer under another color and cut out the pieces. For example, have your background fabric the sea color and underneath place a piece of brown for the island(s). Just cut out the sea color to show the brown for the islands. This could tend to waste fabric but then you have the potential to build your scrap pile!

And if nothing else...have more chocolate and maybe switch to Godsmack and play it loud! :D
How exactly is this photo transfer thing done?

I get what you're talking about with the alternative option to applique. I've seen it done in a magazine (with cute batik turtles) and on the HGTV website for stained glass quilting.

If all else fails, I'll hit the chocolate frosting (right out of the jar!) and watch some Gundam Wing.