View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 PM
sews

Thanks for all the opinions - I hope no-one feels slighted if their preferred machine is not liked as much by some others - we all have our preferences.

I e.g. was falling for the Japanese bling machines, the cute, pretty ones, until I realized, yes they are cute, but can they sew a good stitch?

I got the Necchi (70s model) since I was hoping some of the legendary Necchi quality would remain, and though it is a fine machine, I prefer a more solid stitch. I am attaching a stitch sample to explain:

The 2 rows in dark red are sewn with the Necchi, the white stitches are sewn with the the Singer 328k <- before and after adjusting the tension. I could possibly get a somewhat better stitch from the Necchi with some more adjustment, but as it is, the Citation also has that somewhat anemic stitch, so I see a pattern there.... Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I was hoping for better quality. And maybe I looked at the wrong decade!

My question: do the Japanese machines, like the Brothers that Cari mentioned, sew a good stitch?

I don't mind the looks of the 328 - it is a bit more industrial looking, as is the 319, but it works for me.

Things have gotten a bit more fluid now, since DH came home with a cute little green Singer 185j - and that may tip the balance and maybe I can pry the 328 away from him ... if not, I'd still be looking for a (Japanese?)machine that sews a good stitch - and through several layers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502792[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails stitches.jpg